Chapter 19 ~ It Ended..?

Agent 8's (Mike's) P.O.V:

"You're good." I muttered under my breath, fixing my stance with my roller. I stared deeply into those Octarian goggles I despised so much and took a deep breath. We've been battling on this roof top for a couple minutes now. The entire floor before us was a mess between my ink color and the Octarian purple. 

Up to know, I have managed to get the rest of the chargers, some more time consuming and troubling than the rest, but was doable. However this charger on top of the roof seemed to have the most experience. 

"I'm surprised you've managed to dodge my shots up to now. No regular inkling or octoling would be able to do it without getting splatted. I applaud you." The female Octarian grinned, resting its charger on her shoulder. She wasn't just any Octarian, she was an elite soldier which made it obvious from the seaweed like antennas coming from her head.  "Out of all the Octarians I've faced today, you're making my job harder than it's supposed to be." I responded. 

She giggled as if I had made a joke and said, "Aw don't be like that! We're both of the same kind, we shouldn't be treating each other harshly. And although me and you are the same, you still side with the inklings. I don't understand."

I sighed, "We're not the same." I gripped my roller and got ready to attack. "I've found genuine happiness up here, I found a meaning to my life, I found someone I genuinely want to protect with my life without being brainwashed into it. You're only preventing this freedom."

"These inklings took our land you know...They left us down in the underground to rot. It's about time we try to take back what's ours once again."

"She's just speaking nonsense..."

"DJ Octavio will definitely be the Octarians savior!" She cheered, shooting a shot so fast I could barely react. It just barely missed my head. 

"He's only trapping you in a fake fantasy!" 

I charged forward, spreading ink around to cover the most ground and gain an advantage. This had to be done without actually getting hit by her powerful shots. My heart was racing due to this proving to be a tough challenge. It was unnatural how fast her shots were charging to full power, not to mention her reaction speed. My roller managed to swing vertical right in front of her face after finding an opening and catching the Octarian off guard, yet she still managed to dodge it. Even the ink that was spread because of the swing. I continued to rush forward, not allowing a break for the soldier in this fight, transferring quickly between my octopus and Octoling form in order to throw her off. 

Pushing myself to my limits, I managed to get behind her unexpectedly and get her. Once again, I managed to get another swing on her, but before I knew it, my roller was kicked out of my grasp, and I was slammed onto the floor. 

I gasped for air as stomp rested on my chest. I stared up at the Octarian grinning deviously, pointing the charger at me and shooting it once to break my armor. "Hero armor huh? I've heard of this. You must be part of the Squidbeak Splatoon then."

I didn't answer. Not that I could've even if I wanted to. These red sparks were flowing around me and jumping everywhere. How could I lose to a charger in a close range battle? That's sad. It pisses me off. 

"You should see the look on your face right now! It's funny hehe~" The Octarian giggled, the red dot on the goggles glowing mockingly. However she stopped herself. 

"Ah. I see preparations are ready."

She clicked on the side of her goggles for something before stopping and looking back down at me. "I'd love to chit chat some more, but it seems I have to go. Normally, I'd splat you, but you were fun to fight against, so I'll spare you." 

The Octarian stepped off of me, jumped back a safe distance and prepared. 

"Remember my name: Melody. I hope to have a rematch with you, 10008."

"She remembers her name?! She recognized me?!"

"H-Hey wait-!" I called out. 

Before I could finish, she super jumped far away out of his sight. 

~

Agent 3's (Sarah's) P.O.V:

I charged forward into the small path. I managed to quickly process what was going on, and managed to dodge the first charger shot. All the other Brella shots managed to miss as well luckily. 

"C'mon Sarah! Move quickly!" I pushed myself to swim faster and faster with the path I made fast towards the ink wall placed by the two soldiers. However, before I crashed into it, I had jumped up against the wall of the cupboard and use it as a springboard over the sub wall. Doing this made me exert lots of strength, and I was able to see the shocked expressions of the Octarians before I came down with the splash. 

A whole explosion of ink appeared, marking the entire kitchen into my ink color.

I only heard one got splatted. The other one protected itself with the umbrella in the corner. 

The Octarian began to blast blindly, hitting me multiple times and nearly breaking my hero armor once again. I attempted to shoot with my Splattershot Pro and break the umbrella, but it was too stubborn to breakthrough. He seemed scared, and I couldn't blame him, but I had to do my job quickly. However, the soldier showed that he wasn't going to go down without swinging. 

I got hit with two major splashes, and my hero armor broke, ultimately slowing me down. However, with my luck, one or two more shots had broken the umbrella. My movements were so sloppy it was frustrating, but it didn't matter. I just wanted to complete this mission. Not to mention, getting hit one or two more times with my armor broken will cost me my life. 

As I held down the Splattershot pro's trigger, the ink drops connected with my target and managed to splat the Octarian soldier. In exchange, he got one shot off, making a puddle of purple ink land on my arm, irritating my skin. One more would've definitely splatted me.  

I fell to the floor in exhaustion, trying to comprehend what just happened. My arm was burning like crazy, and I couldn't move well with my armor regenerating, so the best I could do was rest for a second. 

"Mike...Mike are you there...?" I called out, hoping to hear my octoling's voice once more. I was struggling to catch my breath, but I settled down when I heard him respond, "Hear you loud and clear Sarah...*cough*...Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fin-"

"Agent 3 and 8! Mission has been successful and the battle has been won! The Octarians are retreating as we speak!"

A wave a relief washed over me, and I slumped down the wall. "Thank god...but how did it happen so quickly..?" I thought to myself, now questioning something that should be concerning. We did our job correctly, but the effects of it wouldn't have had an instant impact or victory. Could something be going on secretly..?

Mike coughed over the radio.

"Sarah...I'm..I'm getting a bad feeling about this..."

~

A.N. I was planning on writing until chapter 20 (which I have started), but it's almost 3 in the morning and I'm getting tired, so I'll have to finish it soon. Really grateful for this wave of motivation and ideas. 

Word Count: 1258