dancing in the moonlight 🥛

Start from the beginning

Five chuckled but took her words in. "They're not gonna laugh at you, Y/N."

Y/N sniffed. "Yeah, why is that?"

Without responding, Five stood up and scurried over to the speaker, turning it back on and searching for a track. Y/N watched him with curiosity as he did this.

Five stopped when the speaker began playing 'Dancing in the Moonlight' by Toploader.

Facing her, he extended his hand and gave her a slight bow. He looked back up at her - a certain twinkle in his eye.

"It's time someone taught you."

Hesitant, Y/N stared at his hand. Out of all the Hargreeves siblings, Five was the last she could think of to offer her ballroom dancing lessons.

Not that she was complaining, though.

"You know how to dance ballroom?" Y/N asked in disbelief, notably impressed.

Five rolled his eyes wiggled his fingers. "Hey, I don't have all day. I still have some equations waiting in my room." Y/N rolled her eyes.

"All right, but I can't promise I won't step on your foot."

The boy laughed, and Y/N wished she recorded it so she can play it on repeat. Now standing in front of each other, she was unsure what to do.

Especially since they were only centimeters apart.

"I'll take this hand..." Five says as he touches her hand and takes it in his. Y/N almost squeaked. "... and you place your other one on my shoulder."

Y/N obeyed his instructions but focused her eyes on their shoes, which she suddenly found much more interesting.

"I will put my free hand on your waist, all right?" he continued, and as his hand crept onto her waist, Y/N couldn't help but gulp.

This didn't escape Five's notice, and he smiled to himself. He let go of Y/N's hand for a moment and pressed the play button.

We get it on most every night...

"We're gonna start simple. Try to follow my lead and move with the beat." Five spoke softly, and Y/N didn't utter a word. Her eyes were still glued to their shoes, but he could feel eyes boring into her skull.

When that moon is big and bright, it's a supernatural delight...

"Ah, I forgot." he piped up. Letting go of her hand once more, Five used his pointer finger to raise her chin up so that their gazes met. "Rule number 1, always look at your partner in the eye."

Everybody's dancing in the moonlight...

Y/N could feel herself growing red as they swayed with the beat of the music.

Don't step on his feet, don't step on his feet, dont-

Everybody here is out of sight, they don't bark and they don't bite...

"Oof." Five grunted as Y/N did the exact opposite of what she willed herself to do. Wincing at her own stupidity, she apologized nonstop.

"Stop, Y/N. I'm pretty sure I won't die from being being stepped on by a pretty girl with her shoes." Five cut her off, never tearing his focus from her.

Wait, did he just call me pretty?

Dancing in the moonlight, everybody's feeling warm and bright...

Y/N was caught off-guard. She opened her mouth to say something, but no sound came out.

They were both oblivious that as they danced, the proximity between them began to increase as Five's hands held her tighter against his body and Y/N was unconsciously pulling him nearer with her hand on his shoulder.

"You're doing it." Five said with praise, making Y/N snap out of her thoughts and grin at his compliment. "Really?" He returned her smile and nodded.

It's such a fine and natural sight, everybody's dancing in the moonlight...

The young man took the opportunity to twirl her around, making Y/N giggle and stumble a bit. Five laughed along with her, hooked on how adorable she was being at the moment.

Returning to their previous position, Five tried to get her to quicken the pace.
"See if you can keep up with my footwork." Y/N would commit mistakes at first - she would occasionally be off-beat - but practice indeed made everything perfect.

Y/N slowly began to match Five's grace, and the pair looked lovely as they danced around in Y/N's room. To top it all off, they were both enjoying every second of it.

"You know, if you're going to dance at the ball, you're surely going to need a partner for the evening." the young man mused, tearing his gaze away from her as his eyes roamed the interiors of her room.

Y/N's eyes widened. Was he implying what she thought he was?

Deciding to play along, she did the same thing Five did to her and pulled his chin so that they faced each other again. "Do you have any recommendations?"

We like our fun and we never fight, you can't dance and stay uptight...

Five cleared his throat again, his eyes wandering once more. He stayed quiet for a while before finally speaking up, "I could accompany you since you don't appear to have anyone in mind."

By this time, Y/N didn't bother hiding her huge grin and her blush, and neither did Five.

It's a supernatural delight, everybody was dancing in the moonlight...

"So, is that a yes or-"

"Yes, I'd like that. I'd be more comfortable dancing with my mentor than with anyone else, anyways." she replied rather too quickly. The boy smiled from ear to ear.

"It's a deal, then."

Dancing in the moonlight, everybody's feeling warm and bright...

Five and Y/N felt themselves letting loose - they weren't dancing ballroom anymore. The two idiots were simply freestyling by now, laughing and vibing to the beat like a pair of dorky teenagers in a tooth-rotting romantic comedy film.

Neither would let the other catch them, but both Five and Y/N stole looks of admiration and fondness when the other wasn't looking.

It's such a fine and natural sight, everybody's dancing in the moonlight...

As the song came to a halt, Y/N and Five's energy began to decline. She expected him to withdraw his hold on her, but they stayed like that for a good ten seconds before some unknown force started pulling them towards each other.

Five's grip on her waist tightened, and he found himself being bewitched by the smell of her hair and the sweetness of her smile. Y/N was savoring every moment of them being this close to each other.

The pair stared at each other for a while, studying each other's eyes. They could feel their eyes closing shut when Allison's voice echoed across the room, "Awwww, that's so cute!"

The couple whipped around to find all Hargreeves siblings at the door, all with stupid grins on their faces. A bright flash meant that Klaus had just taken a photo of the cute scene in front of them.

Even Diego was smiling.

"We thought we were watching a rom-com film." Luther commented cheekily with an eyebrow raised and arms crossed. Five and Y/N were at a loss for words as they quickly pulled away.

"Look, look! Five, are those red cheeks I see? Oh!" Klaus gasped dramatically. "How did that song go again- right! Five and Y/N kisssing on the tree..."

Klaus looked at his brothers and sisters in encouragement. The rest joined in. "K-I-S-S-I-N..."

Five sprinted towards them with a dangerous look on his face, making the whole Hargreeves family flee the scene and scatter away to safety, screaming like maniacs.

"I'M GONNA KILL YOU ALL!" Five's yells could be heard from Y/N's room, where she was left all alone clutching her stomach from laughing too damn hard.