Complete Me: Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The next morning, Cole picked up the kittens early, remembered that Violet was leaving, and caught their awkward parting. Rose stood there in her bathrobe, quietly stressing while her sister danced around throwing her scattered belongings into a bag.

"I, uh, haven't fed them yet," Rose said, hovering over the kitten basket. Violet skipped out of the bathroom brandishing her toothbrush.

"That's everything," she said, zipping her bag. "Well, sis...I guess I'll see you next time around."

Rose's eyes widened. "Are you sure you can't stay for breakfast? I can whip up something."

"Nah," Violet said. "I'll grab a bite on the road." She paused at the door to slip her bare feet into a pair of sandals.

Cole stayed back. Rose's anguish paraded through her eyes. And Violet was oblivious.

"Bye, Violet. Be careful," Rose said, turning away to dig out the kittens' formula.

Violet snorted and dropped her bag. "You're really going to let me leave like that?" She stepped over to Rose and threw her arms around her twin. "I'm glad you let me stay here."

Tears formed in the corners of Rose's eyes as she hugged her sister. "I'm glad you infiltrated my home."

Violet laughed. "I'm liking this new you." She parted from Rose and punched Cole on the arm. "And I'm rooting for you, but I promise you that you make her unhappy...well, just remember I have some friends in very low places and will do anything for a few bucks."

Cole rubbed his shoulder. "I'll keep that in mind. Have a safe trip."

Violet smirked, whispered some key information in his ear, and left with as much drama as when she arrived on Sunday. Rose smiled and waved at her from the stairs. But that smile didn't last long. A sigh followed. And sadness. And her eyes met Cole's gaze, and suddenly he was back to being the guy who was selling her store out from under her.

"What did she say to you just now?"

"A chink in the armor," he replied with a smile.

She narrowed her gaze, but waved it off. "Will you be free around two o'clock?" she asked him without any segway to the inquiry.

"I can be," he replied, waiting for the explanation.

"Okay," she said. "I want to go see the store's accountant. We should get it out of the way."

She went to her kitchen and laid out the kittens' feeding equipment, ready to prepare some breakfast for them. Cole took hold of her hands and turned her toward him. "I'll take care of the little ones," he said. "Can I get you anything? Some tea?"

"No, I'll make some in a little bit. I need to shower first."

Cole smiled softly. "That had the sound of 'Have a good day, Cole; I'll see you later.'"

She sighed. "I'm sorry. Violet and I were up late last night, and...and I'm tired, and there's a lot I have to do today, and..."

"And you're still disappointed with me and don't want me around right now," he finished. "It's okay, Rose. Just tell me what you want."

She raised her beautiful eyes. "I don't know what you want."

He laid his palm alongside her cheek. "I want you to be happy."

"And to pay off your debts, right?" she asked. "First and foremost."

"That weighs most on my mind, Rose," he said. "But your happiness weighs on my heart."