Complete Me: Chapter 5

Chapter 5

That evening, Rose opted for an evening walk after closing shop. She started down the street, crossing at the nearest intersection, and headed toward the small park in the middle of town. It was a beautiful night, reminiscent of so many she spent out at her grandparents' farm, now Jak's home.

The sunlight lingered on the distant horizon, lavenders and oranges coexisting in ways only nature could accomplish without seeming gaudy. Rose lifted her face to the breeze and made her way to one of the park benches. Across the street, a New Orlean's style restaurant emitted aroma's of cajun spices and seafood. Her parents ate there often, as it was the spot of their first unofficial date. And Rose enjoyed its atmosphere from time to time, though her favorite dine-out was the small mom and pop joint next to the antique's store where the best burgers in town were served.

Rose contemplated between the two restaurants as she relaxed. Eating alone was not an unfamiliar experience for her, and yet, she did not wish to be around other people tonight...strangers, rather. Mr. Shaw loved the seafood crepes across the street...and the smothered hashbrowns at the old diner. Her stomach growled restlessly as it caught the delicious smells in the air, and she sighed.

Hashbrowns will never taste the same...

"Rose?"

Blinking in surprise, she turned to the voice calling her. It was Mr. Fuller. Dang it. Rose sat upright and waited for his fast approach. "Fancy seeing you before tomorrow," he said, smiling down at her.

"I can't imagine that you would stalk me, Mr. Fuller," she said.

He stuffed his hands into his pants pockets. "I happen to be heading to dinner. I hear that place is pretty good." He nudged his head across the street. "You ever eat there?"

"Occasionally," she answered.

"So? Any good?"

"Lots of people like it."

"But not you," he said and made himself comfortable on the bench beside her. She immediately tensed. She didn't think she would ever feel easy about how complaisant it was for him to sit next to her all the time. Scooting over an inch, Rose hoped her action seemed more like a polite invitation, rather than a covert attempt to distance herself.

"Not a big fan of seafood," she said, shrugging as she scooted. "Tuna is about as fishy as I get."

"I'm sure they have more than just fish," he replied, glancing at the increasing gap between their hips.

Rose turned to face him. "Is this civil chitchat really necessary, or are you wishing to torture me?"

He leaned back and rested his arm along the back of the bench. Rose shifted to avoid more contact. No sense giving him the wrong impression, after all. "You're a straightforward kind of woman, aren't you?"

"If you were hoping for a giddy, nonsensical girl or a dramatic femme fatale, then I'm not sorry for disappointing you, Mr. Fuller," she said.

"I am far from disappointed, Miss Kirkland," he said, leaning forward slightly. Rose swallowed to keep her breath from hitching. He had the most alarming grin on his face, and she couldn't imagine what it meant. She couldn't stop staring at his grin, either. Straight, white teeth flashed at her. Unnaturally straight and white. No one was born with teeth like that...were they? Rose, herself, had a healthy smile, but she also had pointy cuspids that she never liked.

Stop staring at his teeth...

So, she looked into his brown eyes instead. Bad idea. How could simple brown eyes be that overpowering? It wasn't fair...