Complete Me: Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Rose eyed her sister with dread. "Violet...I promised you, I did not tell anyone about Benson. I didn't want to hurt you, and it happened so long ago. Can't we get past this?"

"Oh, I've been over Benson Martin since that night," Violet said.

"Then why are you so angry with me?"

Violet threw her hands in the air. "Jesus, Rose. Sometimes I wonder how we could possibly be sisters."

Rose drew in a breath. "That's a harsh thing to say, Violet."

She laughed. "But it's true. You know it is. We are so completely different. I don't think I've ever been as naive as you."

Rose straightened. "Not understanding a person's anger doesn't make me naive. And I've always known we were different."

"But that doesn't stop everyone from wanting us to be the same," Violet said. "Or rather, wanting me to be like you."

"That's ridiculous, Violet," Rose said. "No one ever said anything of the sort."

"Oh, yeah?" her sister challenged. Then she changed her voice, alternating between mimicking their father's voice and their mother's. "'Violet, stop acting like that. Rose never acts like that.' 'You are not wearing that, young lady. Why can't you wear a pretty little dress like Rose?' 'You'd get an A in Biology, Violet, if you studied like Rose.' Honestly, if I have to hear one more 'like Rose', I think I will scream."

Glancing down, Rose replied, "It wasn't that bad, Violet."

"Wasn't that bad? Wasn't that bad?!"

An epic Violet Tantrum approached. Rose braced herself.

Violet stomped around the kitchen. "From the moment we were born, Rose, you've been following me around. Doing everything better. Even being born! Do you remember that story, Rose? Do you? How you came out after me, sweet and quiet, just staring up at everyone. You even smiled."

Rose kept her head down as her sister ranted...hiding the smile she worked very hard to keep invisible now. Yeah, her parents loved to tell of that day. Baby Violet had screamed for hours. There had been nothing wrong with her, other than being unhappy about everything. Whereas Rose had been content to just be.

"Oh, and it didn't stop there, did it?" Violet continued. "Mom tried to put us in separate cribs when we got home, but then you cried and wouldn't be quiet until she put you in with me. One baby crying was a lot better than two, huh? Then years went by, me just wanting to play and have fun, and you hanging onto my coat tails the whole time."

She paused by the kitchen sink, looking out the window. In a softer voice, she said, "After Josie moved to Memphis, I finally got my own room, my own space. I started piano lessons first, and then you begged to take them, too, and of course, you were better. I ended up blowing into a horn for the next eight years. You got the better grades, whereas I had to listen to my teachers constantly comparing us. Constantly trying to put us in the same neat, little package. Always thinking that we should be alike, just because we're twins. I chopped off my hair to show everyone that we are not the same person. You were the pretty one, the smart one, the sweet one — everyone loves you — and I am your complete opposite...that quintessential black sheep."

Raising her head, Rose blinked at her sister. "That's not true, Violet. You're outspoken and clever and brave. You're the one everyone is drawn to. You attract all the attention."