First Flame: Devil's Footprints

?: Young one, your flame is so pure and so untouched. Come with us.

??: Y/N, run! Leave this to us!

You woke up panting heavily. Your sleep had been accompanied by that damned dream again.  Why? Why were you so weak? You didn't want to be weak. You wanted to be strong. You wanted to be strong so that those you love won't have to suffer.

A knock was heard at the door, successfully snapping you out of your thoughts. You went to open it, only to find a concerned Iris. She was staring at you in worry and you knew why. During the months you had worked together, she had grown quite fond of you. And listening to you talking anxiously in your sleep wasn't exactly a happy scenario for her.

Iris: Are you ok? I heard something and came to check.

Y/N: Was I talking in my sleep? I aologize if I made you worry.

You knew lying wouldn't have benefit you in the long-run, but it was the only option for now. So you patted her head and opened your mouth to speak, before Lieutenant Hinawa beat you to it.

Hinawa: Another bad dream?

Y/N: Unfortunately...

You chose to say the truth, knowing the Lieutenant would have made a hole in your head if you had lied. The Lieuteant was like the strict mother of the Brigade, always wearing that unexpressive expression, but that didn't mean he didn't care for you, rather it was the other way around. He sighed and motioned for you and Iris to follow him. While walking, Iris kept on glancing at you, so you had to say something to break this awkward situation.

Y/N: I'm ok, Iris. Just a bad dream.

Iris: You said that yesterday and the day before yesterday and the day before the day before yesterday...

It was normal for her to be concerned about you. You didn't speak so much about your past before the 8th Brigade, but that was enough for her to understand it was a sad one. You stopped, looking at her in the eyes. You put your hand on her shoulder, while she tilted curiously her head.

Y/N: It's only a bad period, everybody has one. It'll pass.

Iris: Still, we are a family. If you need help, we'll be more than happy to give it to you.

Suddenly a bullet was shot, startling both of you. You slowly turned your head to the only one in the corridor beside you.

Hinawa: I didn't give you permission to stop. We are already on a late schedule.

You nodded furiously, having freshly seen your life flashing before our very eyes. It was clear you weren't the only one in a bad mood. You met with Maki some meters away from where you were heading.

Maki: Good morning Y/N, Iris, Lieutenant.

Y/N/Iris: Good morning, Maki.

Maki looked at you worried. Unlike Iris, she hadn't heard you talking, or rather shouting, in your sleep, but your tired eyes gave her the impression of someone who hadn't slept well recently.