pretending doesn't get u anywhere PT2

part two 

"Fuck you Toni," She finally said, turning her back and walking out of the trailer, leaving Toni to collapse on her bed. She ran her hands through her knotted hair as everything went silent, everything apart from the thoughts roaming in her head. Toni cradled up on her fitted sheets, overwhelmed by despair and fury. How could she be so stupid? She just made possibly the worst decision of her life, not only had she lost her best friend, but the love of her life. As much as Toni wanted to turn back around chase after Cheryl, she knew she couldn't. Cheryl's sobs could be heard from outside and yes, that brought a painful quake to her heart, but Toni thought in that moment it was the right thing to do. If only she knew. 

Her eyes were filled with such anger and sadness. She had finally come to realisation that she had ruined everything, with herself and most importantly, with Cheryl. 

And as she lay on her cold, empty bed, all the memories came flooding back. She remembered the first day at Riverdale Elementary School, when she snuck out of recess to leave a note in her pencil case. She remembered the childish print and remembered the illegible writing that was on that stupid note, 

"I liyk yu" 

She remembered whispering 'i love you' to her during lesson then getting recess taking off her for talking during lesson. She remembered the teacher saying something to her. Was the teacher just pointing out her spelling mistake? Or was she mad that she liked another girl? Was that a bad thing? She grew up thinking kissing is for people in love. And only men and women do that, so maybe only men and women are allowed to kiss like that, and so maybe only men and women can be in love. She remembered one day, after school, when she looked around before kissing her cheek.

She remembered when she first changed her mind on the kissing thing. Maybe girls can do it too. She remembered going up to her and kissing her, in thanks, but she couldn't remember if it was on her mouth or her cheek. But she did remember that she had said, 

"What if someone sees?" And that was that. They never kissed again. She remembered painfully drifting apart for a year or two, she remembered the last time they had a sleep over, and they were so tired that they fell asleep laying next to each other whilst Harry Potter played in the background,  facing who might just be the person she loved. She remembered her saying, 

"Let's stay up longer," but she couldn't, and she regretted that. She regretted that more than she could ever say. 

After that, she remembered getting older, getting bolder. 

When she texted her something random she would reply with "Ily lol" and acted like it was nothing, but it was something, it was everything. She remembered calling her and talking about a 'partner' and not a 'boyfriend' when they would talk about futures. She remembered saying that she wanted to live where all sexualities are accepted. And Cheryl agreed. She remembered her saying that she admired Kevin for being brave enough to come out. She remembered hoping and hoping. She always thought that the day she told her she was in love would be a day of happiness, not this. She cringed as she remembered her saying that she almost threw up because she almost kissed a girl on the mouth. 

As much as Toni tried to stop everything going on in her head, there was no way she could. The universe wanted them to be together, the only thing stopping them was themselves. 

----

The days had been getting longer after what had happened between the two, they no longer hugged each other in the halls between classes, they no longer talking to each other 24/7 and they were no longer best friends. 

Best friends. That's all they were. How stupid of Toni to think they would ever be anything but.

She walked down a corridor that led to an empty classroom. There was a spot there that she was quite fond of. It was hidden from view of anybody passing by, so nobody could ridicule her for sneaking away from classes. When she arrived, she stopped short, for someone was already there.

It was Cheryl, who was fiddling with something in her hands. A look of annoyance crossed her face, and she looked up. 

"Oh I'm sorry." Toni mumbled, that being the first thing she had said to her in a month.Then recognition flashed across Cheryl's face. 

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't be here anyway," 

Toni nodded politely, and made to leave the classroom, tightly clutching her bag. 

"Wait." She turned around. 

"I'm sorry for interrupting you," Toni said. "I'll leave you alone now." 

"Toni, please stay." She was a bit unsure whether to stay or not, but she made her way over to Cheryl, and sat beside her. At a loss of words, Toni pulled out her phone, trying to ignore Cheryls eyes on her. After a moment, Cheryl went back to what she was doing, her face full of focus. Curiosity took the best of Toni, and she stopped scrolling through every app on her phone to watch what she was working on. She was painting. A stunning painting of two girls by the seafront.

"Since when could you paint?" 

"Oh, I just picked it up this past month." She said, a small smile lifting her lips. "Nobody knows I paint. I've managed to keep it as a secret. I don't even know why I do it." She looked away. "It's just...sometimes you want one thing, just one thing-" 

"That's for yourself alone." She finished.It was as if they were seeing each other for the first time all over again. Cheryl moved into the empty seat next to Toni as she handed her the painting she had been working on. The painting showed two girls, one tall, one shorter, standing by a seafront. As Toni narrowed her eyes and examined the painting further, she could see the smaller girl was holding a wood carved frog, no bigger than an inch. A smile grew on Toni's face as it finally hit her. "Is this-"

"Us?" She interrupted, "Yeah, it is."