CHAPTER 95: The wisp I needed

Start from the beginning

Kai looked at her. It had bothered him at some point that his loyal friend kept vital details about the premonition to herself, but he also understood why. Skylor's sixth sense was a double-edged sword.

"When I saw his eyes, I felt it again." The spy continued. "Those same strong and confusing feelings. Pain, fear, but also an unbreakable will to live and find love —find you."

'Pain and fear...'

Anguish grabbed at Kai's heart. Just imagining what Jay might have looked like after that fall... The unbearable ache he went through as he recovered from the injuries day by day...

"Hey." Skylor took his hand and squeezed lovingly. "I know what you're thinking. Don't go there again. The priest has made it clear; it is all in the past. Let it serve as experience but don't get lost in those memories or you'll miss the present treasure."

Kai took a deep breath, dumbfounded and grateful to have people around him that knew him so well and would keep him grounded. He clasped her hand back.

"You're right. It will take me a while to get rid of this habit of self-blaming of mine," he confessed with a pitiful smile.

"I'm sure you'll make it. After all, you're surrounded by people who will constantly remind you." She stole a quick look at the royal spouses scattered around the room, all of them having fun.

"Thanks, Sky." The Maharaja leaned in and placed a soft peck on the girl's cheek.

Skylor blushed and glared at the boy comically. Kai giggled before his eyes naturally returned to Jay, who was currently doing something around the musicians with Lloyd and Cole.

"You're going to wear him out if you keep staring like that," Skylor joked.

Oh, I would love to wear him out of those clothes...

Kai's eyes widened as that thought popped into his mind.

"Did you just suddenly blush?"

Shit!

He tried to cover his face, pretending he was fixing the turban on his head, but he wasn't fooling a girl as smart as Skylor. The way she snorted she had most likely figured out Kai's mind was switching control with his nether regions.

"Okay... I have no idea what you're thinking about, but I don't wish to know either."

Kai stopped feigning and fully opened his palm to drag it all over his face in shame with a groan. Skylor laughed.

"I better leave you alone so you can calm down." The girl swiftly pecked Kai on the side of his face then walked away to merge with the rest of the guests.

Being alone with my thoughts is probably the last thing I need right now... Kai cursed at himself, once again dragging his fingers tiredly over his face.

Through the digits, he peeped at the boys ahead. Cole must have said something funny, for Jay and Lloyd were cackling aloud.

Kai huffed, Jay looked so beautiful. Even as the day went on, the boy still appeared as radiant as when Kai first saw him that morning. Kai's blood boiled with desire. He so wanted to lie down with Jay on the bed and lose track of time kissing him, embracing him, touching him...

Cole had suggested Jay was ready to take that final step, but Kai was anxious. What if he wasn't? What if they started something and the boy suddenly panicked? Kai had no doubt he would stop, but he wanted Jay's first experience to be nothing but a nice memory... What if Kai scared him away like that other time?