Chapter 3. One Year Ago - Jiang Yanli

Start from the beginning

Jiang Yanli owned a bakery in Yunmeng and very few people knew that it had been Lan Zhan who had invested in her business years ago. Funded by his inheritance, money that he had no intention of ever using personally, it felt good to be able help someone so giving.

Was she at her bakery? He had to check. Where was Jin Ling?

Turning in a half circle, Lan Zhan made himself look at the blood soaked ground. At the trails of blood that led to the fifteen killed and thirty three wounded. Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyan had been found holding hands death claiming them where they fell, fearless and very nearly undefeated.

Jiang Fengmian had been shot several times and Yu Ziyan had been stabbed through the back.

Two of the fiercest cultivators of the modern jianghu

Two of the fiercest cultivators of the modern jianghu. Individuals who had forced change and championed a new era, standing as a heroes to a great many. People who had not hesitated to help Gusu when they had been on their knees. Helped them not only to rebuild what was lost, but to protect themselves in the years since and issued loans to stabilize the clan's tattered fiances after losing nearly everything.

Wei Ying had remained behind in Yunmeng as the Head Disciple, but Jiang Fengmian had proudly told Shufu that his most despised former student, was the one who had invented the very talismans that were designed to trigger shields and fire defenses. 

Turning around Lan Zhan worried his lower lip, his grip on Bichen tightening.

The main building behind was devoted to the Sect and that was where the majority of the fighting had occurred. Bullets marred the stone and wood structures. Swords were buried in the chests of the known Wen thugs that died and there was a martial arts guandao slung on the floor inside.

The building further back on the water was the Jiang family home and there was little left of the building. Fire had taken half of its roof and the firefighters had barred access just yet.

The fire had been set from inside and burned too quickly for the talismans to put it out.

There were several dead littering the entrance way and inside the living room area. But the courtyard was the epicenter of the violence and the chosen execution ground.