Prologue

The Mellark family sat waiting on their couch for the 75th Hunger Games Announcement. Their tv soon flickered on, the capital's anthem filled the silent room.

An image of the president appear on the tv, the family held their breaths as he started talking. The change in the games for the Quarter Quell could be anything, the last Quarter Quell they sent double the tributes in.

President Snow started to speak, the entire family held their breaths.

"It is the 75th games of the hunger games. It is written that every 25 years we would hold a Quarter Quell to celebrate the remembrance of how we defeated the rebellion." The president stopped talking to pick up a card before continuing, "To remind everyone that even the young were killed during the war there will be an additional tribute under the age of 14 add to the original 2 tributes."

The president continued to speak but the family ignored it, their eyes were on their thirteen year old daughter who's chance was now double of going into the arena.

The girl just sat there petrified, her hands were shaking.

"May the odds ever be in your favor" was the last thing President Snow said before the anthem played again the the tv shut off.