New Days: Eight

Nick

“Nick! Nick! What,” he paused, as though he wasn’t really sure what he wanted to say. “What happened to you?” his voice was sorrowful, as though he couldn’t believe that this was me.

I couldn’t believe that he dared – what had happened to me? Fury boiled up within me and I wanted to yell at him, but for some odd, inexplicable reason, the best I could do was softly whisper “What happened to you?”

I could feel hot tears of anger welling up within, but I wasn’t going to let him see those. After fighting for so long, I wasn’t going to show any sign of weakness – he’d think he’d gotten to me, and I wasn’t about to let him get that satisfaction. He’d gotten enough – no more. Though…those were just tears of anger, right? I wasn’t really crying….was I?

Damn it! That idiot had no right to be in my life! After everything he’d done, he thought he could just show up and ruin everything I’d struggled to rebuild, did he? No, I wasn’t going to let him. He wasn’t going to break me for a second time. Maybe he would have, in a previous lifetime when I was a weak, trusting, you-can-walk-over-me Nick, but I wasn’t that guy anymore. I’d learned that you don’t just let people in…you know why? The walk in, take everything you have and smash it into a million pieces before walking out, that’s why.

My vision was getting more blurry as I drove, and eventually I had to pull over – or I’d cause some serious damage. And then Max would feel smug about having caused me trouble. Ha, not going to happen. I sat there in the driver’s seat for a while, hands on the wheel, silent tears streaming down my face. The only sounds that could be heard were those of other cars driving past me.

I sat there for a while, allowing all that rage to seep out. I felt so angry! Stupid Max and his stupid acting – when we had been in that court, and he’d been asking me what he’d done, he had managed to sow seeds of doubt in my head. Maybe he hadn’t had anything to do with…everything.

But then that very voice that had been my only friend when everyone else had abandoned me had spoken up. Believe him now and all your efforts will have been nothing but a waste of time. This was how he got to you before, remember? My will strengthened again – I had been able to keep myself from apologizing to him – been able to push him away.

Max was lying. He knew quite well…or had he forgotten so soon? It would make sense – he was the guy who could utterly destroy you, then just forget about it.

I’d thought that I’d let out all the rage I’d been feeling, but it was back. Bubbling, like simmering soup, it was back, threatening to spill over and drown me in it.

I started up the car, and made it home – just barely. I’d nearly crashed – twice – because I couldn’t think straight, nor did I want to. My breathing was labored – I was trying to control my anger, but that wasn’t working too well. My jaw was clenched, as were my fists. I had to get all of this out – before it could consume me, and give Max the pleasure of knowing he had gotten to me yet again.

I headed straight to my room – nobody could see me like this. Mum would probably have a heart attack, if she knew that this Nick was still alive. She thought I’d let go – I thought I had, too, but then Max proved me wrong. Door locked, I turned to the one outlet I’d had – when I was hurting so bad that I couldn’t do much but cry, pity myself, then hate myself for it…my punching bag.

I envisioned the bag to be Max.

Smack!

He tried to avoid me, but failed. I punched him again.

My fist made a satisfying crack! as it made contact with his nose.

I punched him again. His nose was bleeding and his hands had gone up to cover his nose.