Part 23

Sam: This all sounds really weird. There must be something we are missing. Why would they send that video? They must know we would try and figure things out!

Nat: I agree, something doesn't add up...

Steve: Maybe they are using this to distract us? While we are here focusing on their threat, they could be planning something bigger?

Lexi: It's almost 8pm. We're running out of time.

Bruce: Guys...? Looks like we don't have until midnight anymore...

They all look at Bruce who is staring at his phone with a panicked expression. He casts the video he's watching on the monitor and they all watch as Lincoln Harris and some agents land in front of the Avengers compound.

Tony: Everyone, suit up. We've got company. Lexi, you stay here with Nat and Bruce. FRIDAY alert S.H.I.E.L.D.

FRIDAY: Right away sir.

Lexi: I am coming with you!

Tony: This is not a negotiation. For some reason, SAHARA wants you back and we can't let them take you.

Everyone runs out of the room and soon, they are in the lobby, ready to go out while Lexi is sitting with Nat and Bruce in the lab.

Lexi: I have an idea, but you two have to trust me.

Nat: I don't like where this is going...

Lexi: Why would they want me back so bad? It has to be because of that microchip! What else could they want from me!?

Bruce: Yeah, but like I said, removing the microchip could damage your brain.

Lexi: We don't have to remove it. We just need to destroy it.

Nat: What are you saying?

Lexi: Bruce, think about it. You can destroy the microchip, without removing it or without even touching my brain!

Bruce: By frying the thing... You might be onto something! Good job Lex! We have to go down to Tony's lab.

Meanwhile, Tony lands next to Steve, a few feets from Lincoln.

Tony: Sorry, we're not accepting any visitors at the moment.

Lincoln: Mister Stark! It's an honor to meet you in person. I'm a big fan!

Steve: Why do you want her back?

Lincoln: I would love to explain all my evil plans to you Captain, but I'm in kind of in a hurry.

He looks over his shoulder to a man holding some kind of tablet.

Lincoln: So where is she?

Bucky: You think we are gonna let you come here and take her away without a fight?

Lincoln: Poor James... Always stuck in a fight, aren't you?.

Bucky glances at Sam who frowns. They know more about them than they thought.

Lincoln: Listen, we can do this the easy way or I can make her come to me. It's up to you.

Meanwhile, Lexi, Nat and Bruce are in Tony's lab. Lexi is laying on her front on one of the tables while Bruce is placing a small device on the back of her neck.

Bruce: We're almost ready.

Nat: So please explain again what we're about to do!

Bruce: This device will release an electrostatic discharge which will damage the microchip electronic circuitry by injecting a high-voltage pulse. Besides giving Lexi an unpleasant shock, it won't kill or badly hurt her.