Chapter 18 || I Left A Million Dollars In The-

Start from the beginning

Jack was that boy I talked to in the hall the other day who drew a picture of Bob's burgers and who tops in every class.

I hop out of my seat and make my way over to Jack's desk, sitting next to him when I arrive. "Hey!" I chirp and he smiles shyly.

"H-Hey, Bronte."

"So, have you read through the criteria yet?" I question and he nods his head with a laugh.

"Of course," he nods. I smile and nod my head in response.

"Cool. Shall we get started?"

▲ ▲ ▲

Eventually class ends and I bid my farewell to Jack. He was nice and the two of us got along very well during class. It turns out that we have a lot of things in common and I think we make a good team.

"Bronte," Blake tugs on my hand just before I can leave the class and I smile when I see him.

"Hey, Blake."

"So you got Jack, aye?" he questions amusedly, and I look at him oddly.

"Yeah. Why?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Oh, nothing," he answers vaguely, and I narrow my eyes on him. By the tone in his voice, I can tell it wasn't nothing. "It's just that he's a, you know, pussy," he adds casually.

"He's nice and a good worker. Don't be mean," I reply, turning on my heels to walk away. Blake's hand closes around my wrist and drags me back into the room, "Blake, I want to eat," I whine.

"I just find it amusing that, of all people, you get paired up with him," Blake continues.

"Why?"

"I dunno, I just.." Blake shrugs pathetically, "He's such a sissy... and did you see the way he was looking at you? That wimp obviously has an obsession with you."

"Who could blame him?"

"I can think of many people. You aren't anything special," Blake shoots back instantly and I frown at him. It was hard to tell whether he was being serious or not.

"I was joking. No need to be mean," I scoff, "Now I'm going. I've heard enough from you about Jack." I walk off immediately.

"Bronte wait," he calls after me. I turn back to him and wait expectantly. "I was kidding about the... the 'you aren't special' thing. Sorry." He scratches the back of his head awkwardly, looking anywhere but at me. It is clear Blake's not used to making apologies. "Sometimes people take my jokes the wrong way."

I smile, "It's fine, Blake."

"Okay," he nods in relief.

Blake apologising? That's a first. I guess when you're his friend he takes more consideration to your feelings.

I walk through the school corridors before eventually arriving at the bustling cafeteria. After grabbing my lunch, I make my way over to my table.

When she sees me, she smiles, "Hey. How was your weekend?"

A grin slowly forms on my face, "Blake and I are friends now!"

Her eyes widen, "You're kidding?" I shake my head, "What the hell? How? That's awesome!"

"Well last night I couldn't sleep so-"

"Excuse me, Bronte?" A familiar voice interrupts me.

My entire body stiffens and I slowly turn around to face him. "Hi... Max." I reply, his name coming out distastefully. What was he doing here?