Chapter 6: Diluc

Diluc was feeling a little looser than usual. The sight of Jean relaxed him so instantaneously he wondered for a moment if he was alright. But no, that was just the effect Jean had on him. 

While Kaeya was waving Jean over, Diluc poured himself another cupful of wine. This drink really was quite good. His brain seemed to be swimming. It felt like there were little fishes in there. Perhaps there were.

"Hello, Kaeya, Diluc." Jean sat down at the table and smiled. The force of that smile, aimed all at him, caused his cheeks to flush. A lot.

Kaeya noticed this, a smirk on his face. Diluc could see that the moment Kaeya opened his mouth something bad would happen.

"Hey, Jean. What've you been up to lately?" Kaeya switched sides on the table to sit next to Jean.

Blood boiling, Diluc noticed how their arms were touching. His whole body prickled with something sharp and ugly.

"Well, I've been quite busy, of course, as Acting Grand Master. It's quite a lot of work, you know." Jean smiled and nodded. 

"I could come in and help you out sometime, darling." Kaeya leaned forward on his forearms, putting himself even closer to Jean. Diluc was very aware of precisely how close they were. He hated it.

"Don't listen to Kaeya. You shouldn't work yourself so hard, Jean. Take a break sometime." Diluc insisted. 

It was hard to tell in the dim lighting, but was that a blush on her cheeks? 

Kaeya smirked, like this was exactly what he wanted. 

"Really, you two, I'm fine. I'll keep up with all this work. The Knights of Favonius are there to help me out." Jean smiled warmly again.

"On second thought, you should relax a little, darling." Kaeya said. Why was Kaeya calling Jean 'darling'? Diluc hated it. He hated this. He hated the whole world for making his brain buzz and hum incessantly. 

"Let down your hair from that confining ponytail you wear all the time. Your hair looks amazing when you leave it down." How did Kaeya know what Jean's hair looked like when it was down?

Kaeya moved forward and took a piece of Jean's hair between his fingers. Diluc thought he might explode if he didn't get out of there soon. 

The door opened again, marked by the jingling bell. The Knight of Favonius Huffman stepped in. 

"Acting Grand Master Jean, Cavalry Captain Kaeya, Master Diluc," Huffman addressed them all formally. "I need a Knight of Favonius to address an issue we had with some Hydro slimes near Cider Lake."

Jean stood up. Diluc was hurt that she wanted to leave. "I'll go. I should be there."

"No, darling, let me handle this. You stay here with Diluc." Kaeya stood up as well and grabbed his sword. 

Diluc noticed acutely the way Huffman looked between Kaeya and Jean, as if looking for some secret relationship. It made him want to punch Huffman in the face, even though he knew Huffman was a very respectable Knight and a generally kind person.

He sighed and poured himself another cup of wine. It was good stuff, this Dandelion Wine.

"Ah, alright then." Jean sat back down, a little nervously.

Once Kaeya had left, Jean gave Diluc a stunning half-smile that would have tripped him had he not been sitting. 

"Do you want to go to my place and rest a while? It's quite loud here." Diluc blurted.

"Of course," Jean smiled, and Diluc felt his insides flutter again.

Or maybe that was just the Dandelion Wine.