Chapter 2: Jean

Jean sighed. It was another long day at work. She liked to start by making a list of all the things she had to do that day.

First off, complete whatever commissions the Adventurer's Guild offered. Then, she had to check around and see if anybody else needed help, relate those commissions to the Guild, and probably complete a lot of them as well. 

Next, she had to talk to Lumine about that new rumor going around about the Darknight Hero. Lumine was trustworthy, she would most likely be up to the task of interviewing people who had seen the vigilante. However, Jean would have much preferred to do it herself, but she simply didn't have the time. 

Hopefully after that, Jean would have enough time to see Klee and-

"You're muttering again, Jean." She looked up and saw a familiar, sly face staring back at her.

"Kaeya! Apologies, I was only making my list for the day. You know how I am," Jean smiled and wrung her hands nervously. "What has you up so early in the morning? It's 5 AM, Kaeya."

"I could ask the same of you, Acting Grand Master of the Knights of Favonius." Kaeya plowed on without letting Jean answer. "I actually didn't sleep. I was at the Angel's Share last night until closing, remember?"

Of course Jean remembered. How could she not? Talking to Diluc, having some time to relax, watching as Diluc moved closer and closer over the bar until she could barely breathe for how close he was to her. . .

"Jean, your face is turning red. Are you okay?" Kaeya smirked at Jean with a knowing glance.

"It's nothing like that, Kaeya. Diluc and I are just friends," Jean said nobly. "I stopped by the bar for a drink and to have a chat with a friend."

"Are you sure? Because I talked to Diluc. He had the same look on his face, you know." Kaeya played with his eyepatch, leaning casually over the desk.

"Wha- What look? I don't have any look on my face. This is the look of studiousness and dedication to my job," Jean felt heat rise to her cheeks.

"You know, the one where his cheeks get all pink, he looks away, crosses his arms." Kaeya smiled.

Jean did know what look he was talking about, but Jean just assumed that was how Diluc looked all the time. At least, that was how Diluc looked whenever Jean was there.

"Kaeya, as Cavalry Captain, I need you to be doing something productive and fitting of your title," Jean said turning her head down to her paper. "Please," she added as a last thought. 

"Alright." Kaeya turned to leave. As he opened the door, he turned his head over his shoulder.

"One last thing, Diluc wanted me to tell you to go to the Angel's Share tonight. He said he wants to see you again." Kaeya let the door slam shut.

Diluc wanted to see her again? For what reason?

Perhaps he wanted to discuss something about a commission in Mondstat or something? Last night's conversation hadn't been about anything of particular notice. Maybe the wine had made her woozy, but it had been comfortable sitting with Diluc and feeling the heat radiating off his body.

Thinking about Diluc made her whole body flush red with heat. She pictured his red hair, how soft it would be to run her fingers through it, his eyes, darkened into bloodred crimson, his hands between her legs. . .

Jean stopped that line of thinking right there. It would do no good to dream of things that would never come true. Her whole body felt fluid and hot.

She bent her head down over the paper again. Maybe she should find Lumine or Barbara. 

Or maybe Diluc, her traitorous brain thought.