Chapter 3: Diluc

"Venti, you're the only one here all day long. Do you need something?"

Diluc sighed and dragged a hand down his face. He was covering for Charles once again, because the regular bartender at the Angel's Share had a strange sickness. Albedo and Sucrose had been working towards a cure for awhile, but still no progress, rendering Mondstadt's favorite bar bartender-less.

Diluc didn't mind. He enjoyed seeing the commoners of Mondstadt out and about on their lives, but he didn't enjoy seeing the commoners commonly, especially a certain few.

Like Kaeya. Diluc frowned, remembering the last night. He had been chatting with Jean, a smile on his face that just wouldn't go away. Just when he was about to muster up the courage to ask if she would like to go to Good Hunter sometime together, as friends, of course, Jean had left him with his heart palpitating like a young adventurer who had just encountered their first hilichurl.

Stupid. Maybe he had caught the same sickness Charles had. Someone like Diluc didn't go around blushing whenever beautiful, strong women laughed at his jokes.

Wait. Strong, beautiful? Where had that come from?

Anyway, Kaeya had ruined the evening glow of happiness by suggesting romantic feelings between the two. Of course there were no romantic feelings between them. Jean and Diluc were just friends, right? Just good friends.

It didn't matter that Jean still called him 'Sir' every time she addressed him, and it certainly didn't matter that the title made his face feel as hot as the fire his Vision summoned.

And of course, it was trivial that every time Jean bit her lip it made Diluc want to take her face between his hands, run his thumb over that soft mouth, bring their faces closer and closer and finally, finally-

"Anotthherr drrinnkk, M-Master D-Diluc," Venti hiccuped, raising his hand. He was almost plastered on the counter, the same counter Jean had sat at recently where she had moved closer to him, so close that he could-

"Put it on the bill! Or, I could singg yoouuu a song to pay for iiitt." Venti slurred, his colored braids swinging back and forth.

"Venti, I think you need to go home. Look around, no one else is here." Diluc shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. Why was it that whenever he spaced out, Jean came to mind?

Maybe he should take a day off. Find someone else to run the tavern for a little bit. Deal with Venti.

As if sensing Diluc's annoyance towards Venti, he let out a particularly loud warble, singing some sea shanty.

"Therrre onncce waza ship in thee... uhh... I forget how this part goes..." Venti rocked back and forth.

Just then, Charles walked back in. Diluc sank nearly three inches in relief.

"Charles, can I leave this noble duty onto you to take care of our favorite and most frequent patron?" Diluc asked, already walking towards the door.

"Uhh, off course, Master Diluc. May I ask why you're leaving?"

"I'm just not feeling so well. Must be the summer heat getting to me." Diluc left, the door swinging in his wake, only to bump into another person going into the Angel's Share.

"Master Diluc!"