Chapter 14

"Nick! Where have you been these days, you bad boy?" she scolded.

Nick kissed her velvety cheek and hugged her tight.

"Busy with projects, as usual, Ma. I'm here to take a break."

The old woman led them to the living room.

"Good for you. And these are...?" she asked, referring to Edward and Rachel. Edward grabbed her in a bear hug, then shook her shoulders lightly.

"Mama! It's me! Don't you recognize me?" 

The old woman gasped.

"Edward! Goodness, gracious. I didn't recognize you at all!" It was now her turn to hug him.

"You've grown so tall. And good-looking! Are you married?" 

Edward laughed. Rachel noticed he had put his defenses down for this old lady he called Mama. She felt like a fly on the wall.

"Not yet. Still in school."

Mama laughed and reached out to pat his arm. 

"Ah, you're a handsome devil. Go and break a few hearts." It was then that she noticed Rachel. She eyed her from head to toe. Nick picked up the signal.

"Oh sorry, Ma, this lovely young lady is Rachel Renshaw. She's uh...my classmate. We invited her to spend summer with us," Nick stammered, nudging Edward discreetly.

Rachel smiled at the elderly woman, who looked at her disapprovingly.

"Hi, uh...Mama."

"A girl like you shouldn't go out alone with two robust young men. What will other people think?" she said it to Rachel sternly.

"But Ma," Edward interrupted as politely as he could. 

" It's alright for me to take her around...Everybody knows she's my girlfriend. We go out together often."

"Yeah," Nick added, wearing his most convincing smile.

"With me as the chaperon," he added.

Rachel was stupefied. So this was the Sevilla trademark after all. LIARS!

On the contrary, she just kept quiet. There's no way she could control this situation.

Mama seemed to relax, then nodded at her. Rachel felt relieved.

"Very well...But I don't want foolishness around this house, do you all get it?" 

The three nodded obediently.

"I understand your liberal-mindedness, but you still have to be morally upright, understand?"

They nodded again.

"Kids today, you just don't know about good old delicadeza anymore. And you two," she pointed at Edward, then Rachel. "Sleep in separate bedrooms."

If only Mama knew how they slept together in a yacht for more than two weeks...

"I'm going to sleep now. Help yourselves to everything here. Just call Marina if you need anything, okay? The cheerful demeanor was back.

As Mama left, both men raised hands for a high five. Rachel was impressed by the conspiracy of the two. They seem to read each other's minds.

Edward told her to sit on the sofa, while Nick excused himself.

"I'll take a shower first. I feel covered with goop, Princess?"

She smiled her acknowledgment and he strode out of the living room.

Edward sat beside her. His arms went around her shoulders, his thigh pressed against her leg. Too close? She didn't mind. She felt secure. After all, it was just friendly comfort.