"He is an Upper moon (Y/n)."

"And why should it matter? If he can do it why shouldn't I?"

"You know very well why it matters. You can't compare your body to Douma's."

"But I followed his instructions! I did everything he asked..."

You clench your teeth in frustration.

"I have been trying for years! And despite everything I still can't do it! Have you got any idea how frustrating it is?!" You hastily turn to look at Rui, slapping his hand away as it tried to reach for you.  You were absolutely exhausted of trying, knowing that for some reason you were making no progress at all.

He looks at you wide-eyed, lowering his head in shame at your outburst. It was true, he never really understood you. He couldn't comprehend your hatred for his lord, for the ranks, and for any other demon outside of your family. He couldn't understand you, but he tried to. He tried because he felt as if you were the only thing he could really care for. Despite the neat difference between your abilities you still insisted on 'protecting' him. You filled the emptiness he felt whenever he fed on his lord lies. And he hang to that feeling of security as much as he could because he knew that you were the last thing that remained of the life he had forgotten. 

...

You sigh and look down at your lap when you don't hear an answer. An uncomfortable feeling building up in your chest.

"...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to raise my voice"

He stares at you, bringing his hand up to hold yours. "I know." 

In the time Douma had trained you he had taught you many things, one of which is hiding your presence. This technique was not simply meant to 'conceal' it, but totally erase it. This meant lowering your heart rate to a point of almost stopping. You had to control your breath in almost an inhumane way, cutting your supply of oxygen as much as possible to try and slow your circulation. The less your blood pumps, the less the enemy will be able to hear, smell, and feel you.  

It has saved you many unnecessary fights with weak slayers, using it to kill them as fast as possible. However, a technique so advanced requires a lot of self-awareness and most importantly physical capacity. Something that compared to the upper moon you obviously lacked.

You had trained for years, night and even day, trying to become stronger, trying to be worthy. You had broken bones, twisted limbs and spat blood. And yet, after everything, you still lacked something.

"C'mon! Are you seriously that weak?" You groaned as he yet again dodged another hit, a small laugh leaving his lips as you prepared to attack again.

"And to think that you are actually trying dear!"

Your heart began to pound in your chest as your feet no longer touched the ground, a cold clawed hand lifting you up by your ankle as you met face to face with your grinning opponent.

"You're too slow, your head would be rolling on the ground by now."

It was frustrating. Knowing that you were trying to follow the teachings of someone that you now despised.

But you were doing it to protect what you cared for the most, even if he himself knew the dark veil that severed your strenght.

"(Y/n), let's go back. That man has already left, and I have to carry out what he asked me to do."

You glance at him from the corner of your eye as he gets up.

"...What did he ask you?"

He doesn't bother stopping nor turn to look at you as you slowly get up to follow him.