Chapter 3 - Taking a Stand

"Be careful with your words, Ava, they can be damaging to you," he warned, his jaw clenched.

"Get away from me," I stated, even as my heart beat started to pace. He was standing too close to me, taking me back to the night we had first met. We had almost kissed that night, but at that moment, all I wanted to do was punch him across the face.

"Or what?" He raised his eyebrows. "What will you do?"

I took in a sharp breath, glaring at him. Placing my hands on his chest, I pushed him away, slipping away from the table. Grabbing Tanisha's hand, I attempted to leave the cafeteria, but the girls were quick to block my way.

"Where do you think you're going, Miss Ava?" The other guy in their group asked, walking up to me. He stood right behind me, making me move away from him, as their group formed a circle around us.

"She's running, Darren," Priya mocked, chuckling.

"Is it just me, or does she look like a pigeon?" Ace's girlfriend asked, looking me up and down.

"Not quite," Ace said, walking closer to us. I backed away from him, gulping. "To me," he gave me a once over, "she's more like a duck." My eyes widened at his words, and I looked him in the eye. But there was no recognition in them. Was him calling me that a coincidence? I was not sure.

"The ugly duckling," Darren laughed, clapping. I bit my tongue, shifting my gaze to the floor. "Isn't it funny, everyone?" Darren asked, looking around at the other students. "Don't you guys find it funny?" He yelled, and the cafeteria broke into a series of nervous laughs. "That's right. The ugly duckling."

"And you guys wanna hear what sound a duck makes?" Ace asked, stepping even closer to me.

"Guys, please let her go," Tanisha cried, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Shut up!" The girl wearing the hijab yelled, walking up to her.

"Aisha, please. You guys entertain yourself with me. She didn't know she was taking up rivalry with you when we became friends. It's my fault," she begged, her voice shaking.

"Aw, look at you," Aisha smiled, cupping her cheek. "You're actually standing up for someone. What an amazing friend you are."

"But we don't like it, fire hair," Darren said, walking up to her. He placed his hands on her shoulders, making her stiffen. "We liked you more when you remained silent. Now, go. Run off." He ordered.

"Please," she begged, wiping away her tears. "Sapphire," she shifted her gaze to Ace's girlfriend. "Let Ava be."

"I'm gonna count till three, Tanisha," Priya stated, returning from the counter with a piece of cake. She stood beside me, while Darren quickly walked up to me with a smirk. He grabbed my wrist, so I would not run away. "If you don't leave right now, this delicious cake will be her make-up."

My eyes widened, and I struggled to get my wrist free from Darren's hold, but he was too strong. "Let me go!" I yelled, trying to push him away, but in vain.

"One," Sapphire said, smirking.

"Two," Ace announced, an amused smile on his face.

"Stop! I'm going, I'm going," Tanisha shouted, raising her hands in surrender. She wiped away her tears and rushed out of the cafeteria, leaving me alone with the Wolves.

"She saved you," Aisha smiled at me.

"Or not," Priya shrugged, smearing the cake onto my face.

The cafeteria walls echoed with the students' laughter, who were now genuinely starting to enjoy the show. Tears pricked my vision as I stood there completely still, unable to believe that actually happened to me. Ace walked up to me, and offered me a tissue.