3. The Librarian and the Elvenking (Thranduil) - Part 4

♡

The Librarian and the Elvenking – Part 4(5): The Elvenking

With new books to keep you company, time passed much faster in your confinement. In the morning, when you were deeply engrossed in the Sindarin history book, you were surprised to see Galion walking up to your cell. You had not seen the ginger guard since you were brought here three days ago.

"I have orders to take you to the king."

You nodded. The request was not wholly unexpected.

When entering the throne room a while later, you instantly recognized it from the art book. The artist had not quite made it justice; it was magnificent, every surface smooth and gleaming, and the sheer size was intimidating.

Your eyes were drawn to the throne and the ellon who sat there, and you were not surprised when you saw who it was. Ú-eneth really did have a name, and that name was Thranduil, King of the Woodland Realm.

He wore much finer clothes now; an elegant robe woven in silver threads, and on his fingers were all the extravagant rings you had seen that first time in Dale. An uncomfortable looking crown rested on his pale hair, constructed of thorny branches and autumn leaves. Underneath it, his face was stern, and he made no sign of recognizing you.

So this was the game he was playing. You decided to play along, for now – but king or no, you wouldn't let him bully you. King Thranduil had kept you locked up for no reason at all, and since he obviously had had time to come speak with you incognito, he could have summoned you officially much earlier than this. For some reason he had wanted to delay that – and you thought you knew why, too, and could even pardon it – but before you did, you wanted an apology.

Galion brought you to the foot of the steps leading up to the throne. You bowed politely, and then met the king's cool gaze. You had to stretch your neck to do so.

"My guards tell me you have trespassed on my land, and even interrupted my people's feast."

"I have, My Lord, but accidentally, and with no ill intent." Again you described how the warg had chased you into the forest, forcing you to abandon your library.

As you spoke, the king assumed a thoughtful face. "I see." He turned to a group of well-dressed elves on his right side; courtiers or advisors presumably. "It seems the librarian is truthful. Can someone bring the items we found when tracking the warg?"

One of them bowed and left. Meanwhile, the king's penetrating eyes landed on you again. "Even so, you have trespassed, and the law is firm in such matters. There must be consequences."

Despite knowing his other, softer side, you felt a twinge of unease. He wouldn't really punish you, would he?

The courtier returned, carrying a large tray. You couldn't hold back an excited squeal when you saw what was on it: a stack of your books! They looked no worse for wear.