3. The Librarian and the Elvenking (Thranduil) - Part 2

♡

The Librarian and the Elvenking – Part 2(5): Into the Woods

"Glorfindel's autobiography? Huh. Maybe I will give it a try." Ú-eneth turned over a few leaves.

The anonymous ellon had now read almost every book you had, some of them more than once. At first he had come seldom, probably timing his visits with errands in town, but by now he was here so often you suspected he came just to borrow books.

"And there is still 'The Principles of Lust.' Sure you don't want to try it?"

He blushed. "I, uh... My wife wouldn't..."

"Oh, so you do live together then?"

His eyes narrowed. "That is none of your business."

"Sorry." That was a sore spot, apparently.

"I shall take this too." He almost demonstratively put the Haradrim book in his bag. "She will love to try these things, I am sure."

"Don't be angry with me. I know I'm too nosy, but I guess it comes with the job. I care about my customers." On an impulse, you gave him a hug. "Have a good journey home."

He stiffened slightly, but he'd gotten used to your ways by now and didn't react as shocked as he would have done in the beginning. "Thank you. And I am not angry."

You beamed at him. "I'm relieved. See you soon!"

"See you."

The next day you had an errand to a farmer village in the outskirts of Eryn Lasgalen. Because most of the inhabitants were too busy to make the long journey into town, you took your library carriage there every other month.

The trip would take a few days there and back, but you didn't mind getting away from Dale for a while. On the contrary; the country air was refreshing and you enjoyed the change of scenery.

Close to your destination the track went parallel to the woods for some miles. It was a lovely part of the journey; it was autumn, the air smelled fresh and earthy and the forest was alluring in its bright colors. Only a shame you could not enter it, but the Elvenking was strict about protecting his grounds and you had to respect that. You had heard rumors of his underground city with its dark dungeons, where poachers and trespassers were left to rot away indefinitely, and you had no intention to end up in such a place.

A noise from the nearby underbrush made Strider restless, prancing in his harness. It sounded almost like a barking dog.

You sent the horse a calming thought, while at the same time feeling slightly nervous yourself. Had one of the farmer guard dogs gotten loose? They were large, fierce beasts trained to guard the property against wolves, and though you felt sure they wouldn't attack you they might scare Strider into a run. The path was not much more than wheel tracks in the turf, and you didn't want to break your carriage.