Chapter 9

Chapter 9: "Chapter Nine"

When Draco entered the silk-and-chiffon-draped drawing room that afternoon, he did so as the head of a procession. Fudge, dressed in his best (and not so obnoxious) suit, sans bowler hat, led him by the hand. Filch followed, carrying a large cage draped in forest green velvet. Two house elves trotted behind, levitating a large box between them, and Theodore, dressed in a fresh set of robes, brought up the rear, a somewhat smaller box resting on his forearms. Draco would have preferred to enter the usual way, but Fudge had insisted.

"This is not an ordinary occasion," he had said quite firmly. "Therefore, it shan't be treated as one."

So a processional entrance it was, and Draco felt rather shy as the younger boys wriggled and murmured and the older boys stared at him as he was led up to the front of the room.

"Silence, sirs," commanded Fudge. "Mr. Filch, place the cage on the table. Tippy and Ezzle, your box may go on the floor. Nott!" he snapped severely, irritated. Nott had quite forgotten himself, and was grinning at one of the younger students, who was wriggling in glee. He almost dropped his box, but merely lowered his eyes respectfully, his shoulders hunching a bit.

Zach and Orion snickered. Harry couldn't help but smile, although he tried to repress it. Draco seethed.

"It is not your place to look at the young gentlemen," Fudge said coldly. "Put your box down and leave."

Theodore set the box down on a chair hurriedly, and was turning to go, when Draco spoke up. "Please, Mister Fudge," he said quietly, evenly, although his gray eyes were far from mild. "Mayn't Theodore stay?"

It was a very bold thing to do. Fudge's mouth dropped open, making him look like a puffer fish. The elder boys gasped and murmured amongst each other, while the younger looked around in confusion.

"Nott?" Fudge exclaimed, his lip curling a bit in distaste. "My dear boy—"

Draco took a step forward, eyes still snapping with something very like angry determination. "I want Theodore to stay," he repeated, carefully stressing the boy's first name, "because I know he will like to see the presents as well. He is a little boy too, you know."

Fudge's eyes narrowed. "May I remind you, dear Draco, that Nott, while he may be a boy, is in disgrace and is not permitted to associate with proper young gentlemen?" His voice was very cold, disgusted, and he glared at Nott as if he was a bug to be crushed. Nott kept his eyes lowered, although inside, he trembled slightly with respect and admiration for the show pupil.

"Please," Draco murmured, looking at Fudge imploringly. His experience with storytelling had done him good - he was an excellent actor. "Because it is my birthday."

Fudge slid his glasses down his nose, looking very long and very hard at Draco over their tops. Finally, after a long pause, he sighed, and in a garroted voice, said, "As you ask it as a birthday favor, then I suppose it shall be allowed. Nott! Thank the gentleman for his generosity."

Theodore kept his eyes on the floor as he bowed deeply, but when he straightened, Draco could see the slight upward twist of the corners of his mouth, the faint flush to his cheeks, the slight, proud lift of his shoulders, and he felt his heart warm. "Thank you very much, sir," Theodore murmured respectfully. "I am very much obliged. And thank you, sir," to Fudge, "for allowing me to take the liberty."

Fudge's lips pressed into a thin line, and he waved his hand. "Go stand over there," he commanded tersely. "Not too near the gentlemen."

Theodore went directly, his eyes still lowered, but, as he passed Draco, he offered up a very small, secret smile that was more than enough for both of them. Draco beamed, feeling his mood lift immediately. Theodore positively glowed, coming to a halt next to the mantle. A slight, friendly harrumph caught his attention, and he looked up to see the portrait of Godric Gryffindor winking at him. He grinned back, just a flash of teeth, but the effect was amazing; for a moment, he actually looked like a normal, happy little boy. Gryffindor blinked, and then turned his attention back to the celebration.