Chapter 19: To Save A Life

The Summer Solstice Update has been released as I told my Discord followers. For those interested in voting on what books of mine get updated, the link to the discord is on my information page along with a link to my alt. account on Archiveofourown that has books that haven't been published in Wattpad!

I do not own Iron Man or Percy Jackson.

Takes place during Iron Man 1

Time: 1:13:35-1:24:35

Tony's Age: 26 years old

Percy's Age: 40 mentally, wolf body 4 (thought by others to be 7 and a half years old--aging)

Maybe it was the way that Tony was tightening the metal arm, the ominous whirl it gave after nearly every tighten, or the television reporting on Gelmira and the surrounding land that was being terrorized by a group called the Ten Rings that illuminated Tony's stone-cold face, but I could tell with each second passing from the news that Tony was numb inside.

Numb, hurt, and angry. So much anger I could smell it coming from him in waves. It wasn't the anger that passed in seconds, wasn't even the one that passed over time, this was a burn of hot rage that would last years on end unless something was done about it. From knowledge from my mother and personal experience from Gabe, the rage usually either festered in two ways, acting it out, or seeking help.

And I've known Tony Stark for years, he didn't ask for help with this type of rage that rarely ever truly festered in him. He kept it to himself, never burdening others until it finally toppled over like melted iron overflowing a can and spilling into the cast underneath it.

For Tony Stark, that rage, that hollow thing inside him that was born from his treatment from Howard Stark, combined with his intelligence, produced an unholy spirited fire that rivaled my mother.

I nudged Tony's knee with my nose, trying to get his attention off of the news that was reporting the casualties and lack of hope from saving the citizens being tormented. Slowly, Tony rose from the couch, a hard look in his eyes as he barely acknowledged me.

Throwing the screwdriver he had been working with onto the counter, he looked toward his desk in his lab and lifted his head. Recognizing the action and the hard look in his eyes, I moved toward the corner of the counter and laid down, making myself smaller and less of a target as Tony acted his repulsor and fired it, causing me to tuck my ears against my head as the whirl of the arm hurt my sensitive ears.

His arm was thrown back from the kickback of the blast as it rippled through the small lab, hitting the lighting above the desk and breaking the bulbs and one of the chains that held it up.

Tony had a small smirk on his face like he couldn't believe that it had worked as he surveyed the damage the small blaster had done.

My heart beat faster as I watched Tony finally look away from the destruction of his lab and toward the entrance. I saw his eyes pause at his reflection before his face settled in determination.

His other hand braced the weaponized arm and my only warning was a high-pitched whirl before a shot was fired and the glass broke.

Rapidly turning to another glass, Tony repeated the action before spinning and supported his hand as he fired a third shot, breaking the last plane of glass that wasn't the door.

I shifted toward the counter, the sound of glass breaking reminding me of unpleasant memories that were slowly being dragged from where I had tucked them into the farthest part of my mind. Gabe's looming voice shouting faintly toward me, my birth mother's whimpers from when she was alive and taking Gabe's abuse.