2. screw the screws

It was 5:30am. I groaned, there was no way that i would go back to sleep now.

I got up quietly so i dont wake up Michelle and tip toed my way into the kitchen. For some reason i was still thinking about danny and weather i should text him or not. I really had no reason to, i mean ill see him later today anyway, but something was telling me that i should text him anyway.

me:
heyy
do you need me to bring anything to the barbecue tonight? like drinks or something?

it was the dumbest message ever in my opinion but i just wanted an excuse to talk to him. Plus it was a valid question, where im from everyone brings something to a gathering always.
i just dont know if its the same way here.

A few minutes passed and he texted me back.

Danny:
No worries Y/N, there's enough drinks and alcohol for everyone.
Im just happy you're showing up :)

me:
Same, i cant wait.

Danny:
You can come around earlier if you want to help me out with setting everything up?

me:
Yeah totally, i dont have any plans anyway.

I locked my phone after finishing the short conversation with danny. I felt an overwhelming feeling of nervousness while texting him, but then again the feeling felt kinda nice too. I cant possibly like him can i? I met him like 24 hours ago.

For the rest of the day Michelle and i mainly focused on helping me unpack all my shit and settle in properly. I told her about the barbecue/ party thing and asked her to tag along but she had plans with her girlfriend so i was all alone.

soon it was 2pm and i was hopelessly staring at my wardrobe not knowing what to wear. After a while i picked out some denim ripped jeans and a simple t-shirt along with a leather jacket.

I left the house and started driving towards dannys. It took me like 5 minutes to get there so i suppose i could've just walked there but oh well.

I rang the door and and waited.

"Im coming!" I heard someone yell from inside the house. It wasn't danny though.

A dude with a curly mullet and a mustache opened the door and stared at me confused.

"Uhh hi Danny invited me." I said awkwardly. I really dont know how to handle social interaction but it seemed like this dude didn't know how to either since we were both standing there stumbling over our words like two lost puppies.

"Oh yeah, Im dannys friend kurtis." He shook my hand and let me in.

We walked over to the kitchen since i was early like danny suggested i should be. i spotted him talking with a guy who looked exactly like him so i assumed it was his brother.

"Hey." i approached them.

"Oh hi, im Drew." The other dude introduced himself.

"Im Y/N, you must be Dannys brother right..?" I asked

"Nope we're just friends."Danny laughed. Wow i really need to stop making assumptions about this dude. Its just like Alex Russo said 'everything is not what it seems'.

"Oh im sorry you guys just really look alike." I smiled at them and danny handed me a drink. It was juice-vodka which was one of my favorites.

It was only the four of us at first but Drew and Kurtis left to get more drinks at the grocery store nearby so right now it was just me and Danny trying to figure out how to push a big table out in the backyard.

"Dude just lower it down a bit!"

"I'm trying its not working, maybe try sideways more?"

"Danny sideways is literally the hardest way." i sighed and put my end of the table down. We've been doing this for at least 10 minutes.

"Wait Im an idiot." Danny realized.

"I agree."

"Well thank you but i just remembered that this table can unscrew itself so we can just bring it out in pieces."

"Its your own table and you realized this after like 20 minutes." I was exaggerating it was like 7 minutes tops.

"Looks like it."

We dismembered the table and then somehow put it back together outside. Except that i wasnt really the best with screws, they always seemed to slip away or i managed to stab my finger with them somehow.

"Jesus Christ on a cracker.." I mumbled to myself, trying to screw in the last piece while sitting on the grass.

"Whats wrong?" Danny appeared next to me and sat down.

"This stupid goddamn screw-" I groaned and he laughed at me.

"Its not funny! your screws suck and so do you." I said and he just continued laughing at my misery.

"Okay look." He leaned in closer to me and put his hand over mine that was holding the screwdriver. Well he could've just taken the screwdriver from me but im complaining honestly.

"You just gotta aim it right." He controlled the screwdriver with his hand over mine while i was holding the screw in my other hand. It was a silent couple of seconds and i could feel my breathing stop for that period.

His face was right next to mine and i turned to look at him. He was concentrated on the screw and hopefully didnt notice me staring.

"See, all done." He grinned as if he had accomplished the most difficult thing ever and turned to look at me. Our faces were inches apart and i couldn't help but also smile.

"Your screws still suck though." I noticed his hand was still over mine and i was still holding the screwdriver.

"Well you weren't really paying attention to them anyway." He winked at me and got up, letting go of my hand. I felt my face get hot and there was no doubt i was blushing like crazy. I guess he did notice i was staring at him.

"C'mon get up people are arriving soon." He held out his hand, i gladly took it and got up. Kurtis and Drew arrived shortly and we were just waiting for the rest to show up.

A/N: so far so good i think? i need a bit more drama though. ANYWAY today is a big exam for me (in like half an hour) that determines weather i pass or fail the whole ass year and let me tell yall i didnt study. so wish me luck!