Chapter 36 - Sirius, drama queen, Black

The weather was only sunnier after that, as the summer came rolling around so did exam season. Remus had been helping people study, Marlene, Mary and Lily attended his study group. It seemed he was getting a lot of attention from a boy in the year below, Chris I think his name was.

Sirius hadn't even touched his revision notes, James and I revised together but we were nowhere near as stressed as Peter. Peter spent every evening trying to master charms and memorizing facts. Our proper N.E.W.T.S were next year I wasn't too stressed.

Lily and I were outside on the grass, we were layed on a picnic blanket reading text books for N.E.W.T level defense against the dark arts. It was nice studying with Lily, she was always happy to help and she was very patient when I didn't understand something.
It was hard to be stressed about exams when we had snacks and drinks on the picnic blanket with us, tanning in the sun while we read.

This peace and quiet was soon interrupted by Sirius and Mary storming up to us, well, Mary was storming up to us and Sirius was trying to catch up without running.
"Mary what's the matter?" I asked her, looking up from my book about dementors.

"Of fuck off Sirius!" Mary snapped at Sirius who looked like he didn't know how to reply, and she looked like she was close to bursting into tears at any moment.

"Mary just calm down! Tell her y/n!" Sirius often came to me for girl advice, but I knew how he may have been a ladies man but he wasn't always the best at romance. He forgot his girlfriends' birthdays etc.

"What happened?" Lily asked irritated that the lovers quarrel had interrupted her revision.

"We were supposed to go to Hogsmede today, and I catch him in the library with some Hufflepuff!" Mary crossed her arms.

"Sirius!" My eyes widened, surely Sirius wasn't the cheating type.

"No you don't get it, I completely forgot and Katie asked me for help studying it was nothing like that!" Sirius looked absolutely exasperated, they were both rather dramatic "But you wouldn't let me explain that!"

"You don't respect me Sirius, you don't know how to treat a girl." Mary had right to be annoyed that he forgot their date but all this? For why?

"Of course I respect you, you've got the best tits in the year!" Sirius said stubbornly and Lily and I rolled our eyes.

Idiot.

"Oh cheers!" Mary said sarcastically.

"Okay okay you two need to cool off." Lily shook her head and stood up "Mary come sit, Sirius go find James or something I don't know."

"You're going to exile me Evans?"

"Yes."

"Alright."

Everyone listened to Lily, even Sirius. He turned around to storm away and I went with him giving Mary an apologetic smile. Leaving Sirius to his own devices when he was feeling particularly fiery was always a bad idea.

"Sirius what on Earth was all that about?" I asked him as we walked up to the castle. It was annoying that I had to leave my nice hang out with Lily to resolve this lovers spat but here we were.

"I genuinely forgot! I'm not cheating on  Mary." I could read Sirius like a book, it was clear he was telling the truth.

"Oh Padfoot why do you get yourself into this shit." I chuckled softly. Sirius was calming down now he was out the heat of the moment, he tied his longish black hair back into a little man-bun to get it off his neck in the hot weather.
It was strange how most girls would do anything for a chance to get with Sirius and I had absolutely zero interest what so ever. I was truly lucky to have guy friends that genuinely saw me as a friend not an object. (Not asking for much I know, but the marauders were truly amazing friends)

"Mary is so beautiful and funny and she's a great kisser- sorry. But she's so romantic and I'm not good at all that. You understand surely?" We were walking through the corridors to the common room where the others would no doubt be.

The truth was I completely understood, I didn't like anything soppy and romantic. Reg always had the perfect balance between nice and mean, it was like he knew the exact way into my heart. Dates were scary, it was like planning to fall in love with someone I liked things more spontaneous.
"Of course I do." I nodded and he looked a little more at ease at that. "You both have very big personalities, sometimes you match each other's energy and sometimes you clash. But you need to settle it in a mature way."

Sirius flopped down on a red sofa after we entered the portrait hole, there weren't many people inside because the weather was nice. "Maybe we're not meant to be." He said thoughtfully and laid his head on my lap so I could braid his hair. He secretly found it relaxing and I chuckled and started combing it with my fingers before giving him one out of two French braids.
"She's brilliant, really great girl. But she's not... It's not important." He shook his head.

When Sirius didn't want to talk, I didn't make him, "That's okay, whatever happens is meant to happen you should let things play out. Make sure you communicate with her." I always gave Sirius my honest advice, there was no point in sugar coating things. "But also if you keep argueing there comes a point where it's clear that maybe you're just too different for each other you know? You're both great people of course but are you the right people for each other?" I asked him softly as I started another braid in his hair.

His dark eyebrows furrowed in thought. "I don't think I can be with Mary, y/n," He said quietly "not because she isn't great but there's someone else and she's not h- them."

It took me by surprise a little, but then again not really. Sirius fancied alot of girls. "You wanna tell me about her?" I asked softly.

Sirius sat up and faced me on the sofa, sitting with his legs crossed a little childishly. He was playing with his hands looking rather nervous. "What if...they're not a she?" He went bright red and spoke so quietly it was basically a whisper.

I smiled and hugged him to ease him "It doesn't matter as long as they make you happy." I told him, I was very proud of him for telling me. I wasn't even sure if same-sex couples were legal in muggle law. "Of course I support you whatever."

He smiled and pulled me into a tight hug "thank you." He whispered. "I can't tell you who he is yet, I don't think he's ready and we're not together or anything. And I'm not ready for the others to know. Not yet. Keep my secret?" He held up his pinky for a pinky promise.

"Always." I smiled and linked my pinky with his