Chapter 1: Not The Honeymoon They Were Hoping For

Începe de la început

''It's Katya,'' she muttered under her breath, purely out of habit. Besides, assaulting is a big word to use to describe their very short fight with T'Challa. He did a lot of assaulting himself.

Natasha sighed and picked up the phone to call Ross. Katya could picture how he stared at his phone in confusion and surprise. His phone didn't recognize this number, but he would know immediately who called.

''Yeah?''

''Don't do this,'' Natasha said tiredly and unimpressed, putting the phone on speaker so Katya could hear too. Her voice was awfully loud in the small and dirty room despite her low volume. 

''Do what?'' Ross played dumb.

''Come after us. I mean, you're embarrassing yourself. It looks desperate.'' 

Katya had to swallow a chuckle. She wasn't the only one who loved toying with the guy. And Natasha had much more self-control when it came to her anger, so she could have this conversation.

''Thought maybe you'd be calling me to cut a deal. 'Cause from my vantage point, it's the federal fugitives who're desperate.''

''From my vantage point, you look like you could use some bed rest. What is this, your second triple bypass?'' Natasha countered without missing a beat. And she was right. Ross leaned on a walking stick, which could only mean one thing with his heart condition.

''I wouldn't worry about me. We got Barton and that other guy, the incredible shrinking convict. Rogers and Wilson are on the run. You got no one but each other. Where you gonna go?''

Natasha's face fell, and so did Katya's. The first few weeks were fine on their own. They were nice actually. Finally without lurking people everywhere. But soon, after months, it started to get lonely, and Ross knew that all too well. 

''We've lived a lot of lives before we met you, Ross. You shouldn't have gone to all this trouble. We're done.'' With her hoodie half over her arms, Natasha picked up the phone and ended the call. After that conversation and his loud voice, it turned awfully quiet. His words hadn't done either of their moods any good. 

Just when Katya thought she had Natasha in a better place, he had to go and remind them they were alone, once again.

''He's still a dick,'' she whispered, but her attempt at lightening the mood wasn't received. Their happiness of getting away from the government for another few weeks got overshadowed by that nagging feeling in their stomachs.

Natasha didn't look at her. She didn't want Katya to see the sadness in her eyes. Instead, she stared at the sink and pulled her hoodie over her head. ''How's the weather?''

''Still cold. Still cloudy.''

''We're gonna need thicker clothes.'' She pulled the elastic from her hair and shook it out. The usually fiery red looked awfully dull in this lighting. 

''I hope your guy thought of that.'' This private contractor that Natasha had in her contacts for years, had been their savior lately. Rick Mason. Ex-SHIELD. 

He was the reason they had false documents that were good enough to pass for real. He found them remote and safe enough places to live. Transport, everything. And for some reason, hadn't ratted them out.

And on top of that, he was actually a nice person. Kind. And he cared more about their wellbeing than he would ever admit.

Katya watched as Natasha turned around, grabbed the doorhandle and let out a deep sigh before opening it and walking out without looking back. This must be one of her worst days ever, because she didn't even have the energy to act like she was fine. Not that that was of any use with Katya anyway.