The mug had the inscription "𝑩𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝑴𝒖𝒎 𝑰𝒏 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑾𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅" written on it in a bold calligraphy. Henry and I had gotten it, amongst other things for her last birthday. But right now, she wasn't acting like the best mum in the world at all. If I had a chance to take the mug back at this moment, I would.

But God in heaven knows I wouldn't dare.

I was going to respond to what she had said earlier when Dad walked in, reading glasses on and newspaper in hand. My brows furrowed in confusion. Do people still read newspapers? Why is there internet for God's sake?

"What's going on?" He asked, noticing the tension in the kitchen. I sighed, pouted, and ran to him, clinging to his arm tightly, and made sure to wear my puppy dog face for him. He has never been able to resist that face.

My Dad has always been the soft one and because I was the only girl and the last born, he pretty much spoilt me while we were growing up. He began to restrain himself from doing so when I clocked fourteen but the charms still worked sometimes nonetheless.

I hope this was one of those times.

"Dad, please tell mum she's being so unreasonable right now." I cried out softly. Mum opened her mouth in disbelief, folding her hands across her chest.

"Don't talk to me like that. I'm still your mum." She answered, frowning in disapproval.

"Apologize, Hilary," Dad instructed and I rolled my eyes but did what he had asked.

"Mum, I'm sorry. But Dad..." I whined, looking back at Dad who's gaze kept traveling back and forth between me and Mum.

"What exactly is the matter?" Dad finally asked, moving away from me to move to the fridge. I pouted again, folding my hand across my chest. Mum rolled her eyes at me, deciding to tell Dad what the issue was.

"Hilary wants to go out to see her friends." She started and Dad shrugged.

"Is there anything wrong with that?" He asked, looking between me and Mum again before retrieving a juice carton, closed the door of the fridge, and leaned against it.

"Sweetheart, she wants to go tonight." Mum deadpan and Dad froze, but only for a second. That didn't seem like a good sign. It wasn't a bad sign either so I looked at him expectantly. He didn't say anything for a while, just walked away from the fridge to the cabinet, got a glass cup, and poured the chivita orange juice in it. Then, he took his sweet time, sipping the juice from the cup.

Okayyy...

"You are not going anywhere."

"Dad!"

"Thank you!"

Mum and I chorused at the same time.

"I don't even know why you are asking for permission because you are the one being unreasonable," Dad stated matter-of-factly and I growled, rolling my eyes. "This is eight pm and you are asking for permission to go out? In this insecurity? Are you being serious?" I growled again, throwing my hands up in frustration.

"I'll be fine! You people are making this thing so deep when it's not. Henry can take me and bring me back."

"Your brother is studying for his second-semester exams and you are not going out with your friends. In fact, I'm sure Dawn's mum won't let her step out of the house. You are not going anywhere and that's final." Dad said pointedly and I groaned.

"You guys are so unbelievable," I muttered before spinning on my heels and rushing up to my room.

Telling them I wanted to go see my friends was majorly a cover-up. I was going to see Jidenna, not any of my other friends. He called a few minutes ago that he needed me and my first instinct was to go and see him. Asking my parents for permission was even far-fetched, no sane parent would allow their seventeen years old to go out by this time, in this insecurity.