❆Second Chance (01)

Depuis le début

Driving out of the driveway, I make my way to the bookstore which is only a maximum amount of fifteen minutes away. When I get there, the bookstore stands straight and tall, just like my dad did when he welcomed his very first thirteen customers.

Walking to the front, I admire the beige and dark brown door which is glittered with white particles, snow. The door is there as if a dream had become strong as if it had developed on the hinges and bloomed into a solace tint.

Entering the bookstore is an easy auditory bath of soft music from a radio, the eyes met by family customers, and the well-loved furniture of years.

Linda was standing just opposite me, her hand sloping on her forty-year-old hip as she stares at me sternly, her dark eyes glinting with irritation. She glances down at her watch before landing her stare back at me.

"You are six minutes and seventeen seconds late mister. Now, I do not want to argue because seven impatient women are wanting this job and you have to interview them!" She says, almost in one breath, and holds up a finger when I open my mouth to recite.

"I do not want to hear it," she says submissively while pointing to my office door right down the dim aisle.

"Technically, I am five minutes late, on the dot because-"

"Go!" She seethes and I clamp my lips into a narrow line, hurrying to the back.

✎✎✎

"So, erm. . . Amy," I trail, glancing down at her brief. Honestly, there are a few important things I want from the people who work for me:

#1 Personality. They should have a luminous personality when conversing with our customers.

#2 Communication. They should be eligible to communicate with customers without getting nuts at something.

#3 Kindness. If you aren't considerate, I don't think I can acknowledge you to be working at this place because it's a location of truce and harmony.

#4 A big no to dating.com. I don't want my employees flirting with my customers. It was a really big deal when my dad was here, even though he was a huge romantic.

#5 is the most crucial one. You should be eligible to take orders without complaining. You should have a clear roster to work here because sometimes, my people can get sick and cannot make it then I will have to call someone in.

It's as simple as that.

"Do you like reading?" I inquire, smiling.

She nods and flushes. "I don't want to seem odd, but I actually think of reading as my first hobby."

Laughing, I nod with a shrug. "That's not odd at all, no wonder you're so cool."

She has her back upright, chest out and one leg over the other. That would be considered a tiny bit over-professional. She isn't having her chest out seductively. She even brought an overview which I didn't need. I would say she's pretty good.

She giggles. "I am kind of. . .cool. I always had this love for making YouTube videos and one thing I did after high school, was going to communication school. I would say I am good at communicating. I'm introverted by the way, but that doesn't mean I'm bad with people and I'm going to stop speaking. . ."

See? She seems freshly cool but she will possibly talk the customer's ear off. Many people around here are super blunt when it comes to what they want. But they can be really kind.

That rhymed! Ugh, I have a problem.

Please don't disappoint me, Amy.