MINICHAPTER: MARA

"I don't like this."

"Stop, Mum, I'm sure it will be fine."

Elzora Evergreene let out a long sigh, communicating with me through the fireplace. "I don't know, Marabella, I don't think it's a good--"

"I'm sure Abraxas won't mind," I reassured her, hands playing together nervously as I hoped that she would agree. "He's... He's really kind and generous and... Well, I mean, I don't even think helping us would hurt them at all."

Her face scrunched up in thought, red fire from the fireplace swirling up to create her features. "I'd really rather you wouldn't. In fact, I've just decided, it's completely out of the question."

"But Mum--"

"I mean it, Marabella," she said firmly. "You will not ask that boy to help us. Do you have any idea how desperate we would seem? Your father would be rolling in his grave for Merlin's sake! No, no, stick to the original plan."

I groaned loudly, burying my face into my hands. My hands met my wet scalp, fresh from the shower. "Mum, you're being ridiculous." I shook my head in frustration, pulling my hair. "I know it's not the original plan but," I laughed incredulously, "neither was Dad dying. I don't think we have a choice."

"Mummy?"

Oh shit.

I quickly recovered, hoping that she didn't hear what I had just said. I forced a smile on my face as I called out: "Art? Is that you?"

"I knew you were talking to big sis, Mum!" A boyish voice whined. "Why did you lie? I wanna talk to her too! No fair!"

"Hi, Kaspar." I laughed at my younger brother's voice, stepping closer to the fire as if it would bring me closer to the family I missed so much. I stopped when I could feel the flames lick at my fingertips, ignoring the feeling of it scorching my fingertips, as the distance between us still felt incredibly large.

"Bloody hell, Marabella! You've summoned the whole lot of them," Mum groaned, though if you paid attention you could hear secret affection lacing her voice. My smile grew as her face disappeared, replaced by those of my five brunette siblings. I laughed when I noticed their growing height differences. They grew so much every year. I could barely believe how tall Kaspar has gotten these days. He used to be the runt of the bunch and now? Well, now he's taller than the twins.

"Look! Look, Artemis, it is her!" My younger brother Kaspar smiled boldly at me, showing the many gaps in his yellowing eight-year-old little teeth. I smiled at the sight of his chubby little cheeks, aching to squeeze them.

I should be there.

You'll be home soon enough, I told myself even if I didn't believe it.

"Mara, when are you coming home?" Nicholas asked, tears in his big beautiful eyes as his lips trembled slightly. I wished I could see the leaf green colour of them, limited by the hue of the fire. "Alexander won't stop hexing me!"

"No I haven't, you twat!" His identical twin scolded, pushing him to the side with a large scowl on his face. I could feel his aggravation radiating out of his body as he looked down on Nicholas. "You're such a tattletale, Nick!"

"Be nice, you two," I scolded. "How are you supposed to come to Hogwarts next year if you can't behave?"

I could see all of my siblings visibly stiffen at the mere mention of it. Alexander shivered before he turned to face me, eyes wide and upset. "Do I have to?" He whined loudly, crossing his arms in front of him as he huffed.

A future Gryffindor that one, I chuckled to myself quietly.

"Yes you do," I said firmly, breaking out in a smile at my next thought. "Otherwise Dumbledore might just have to put you into Hufflepuff. Wouldn't want that would you?"