"Sorry mom" I roll my eyes.

"Oi, I saw that young lady" she scowls.

We both chuckle and link arms "I love you Maya"

"Aw I love you too bestie even if you are a pain in the butt" she says lovingly.

"I am not you are! How rude!"

"I am not I'm an angel just ask my mama" Maya crowed. She really did think highly of herself and rightly so, she's amazing.

"It just sucks that I'll never get that mateship, that unbreakable bond. I'm gonna end up a crazy old cat lady who only eats microwaveable Mac and cheese dinners for one and listens to depressing love songs" I admitted what I really had been feeling about the whole thing. I felt weak having to explain my pain, even though it was to my dearest friend.

Maya stopped in front of me, placing her hands on both my shoulders. She roughly gives me a shake and brings her face uncomfortably close to mine. I feel her minty breath tickle my nose.
"Hadley" she breathes.
"I understand that this whole thing has taken it's toll on you, it's the worst, most horrible situation any wolf could be in" she pauses and takes a moment to lick her dry lips.

Her eyes advert down to the ground, she's thinking about what she's going to say next and how to say it.
"But. Don't you dare forget who you were before Vincent. Okay! You hardly even know him. Yes you've connected with him in the most intimate way by having sex with him but that doesn't mean you know what he's really like as a person. You've always been so head strong and your letting this, this stranger bring you down and make you miss the things you never really wanted before. You never wanted a mate you wanted to be independent. This is the universe giving you what you've always wanted, your freedom"

Maya pats my left shoulder gently and pulls away slowly from me but doesn't move from her position in front of me.

Her wise words of wisdom really spoke to me. I felt something deep within me, a realisation. A light at the end of the tunnel. Maya was right.

"Your right Maya, I don't really know him at all do I? I've always wanted to do my own thing, and with him I'd never have been able to do that" I confess to Maya and also agree with her previous statement. She was a hundred percent correct. You only live once, and it was my life to live. I wasn't going to become something I'm not, I'm not a Luna, and I'm certainly not his mate, or anyone's for that matter.

I am me, and all I need is me!

We got to the club relatively quickly after our pep talk in the woods. It's the first time that's ever happened. I've never realised how good Maya is with people, with words. She definitely gets that part of her personality from her mother. Sarah's always been a good therapist. A good person to talk to in a crisis or time of need. Why couldn't she be my mother? Why fate gave me the family that I have I'll never understand.

The bar was called Amino's. I wasn't entirely sure if there was a science theme behind it, didn't seem like it as when we went inside it was just like a regular club.

Bouncing full of sweaty, horny young people who were there to dance and fuck someone at the end of the night. The smell of sex lingered heavily in the air.

All these people, grinding against each other, skin touching. It was electric. I myself felt enlivened at the thought of someone gliding their skin against my own.

I was an adult, a single adult who wanted to be felt up by someone who I found attractive. I wasn't going to become some frigid, celibate female. My vagina wasn't going to become full of dust and cobwebs.

A flash of vibrant colours hit my face, coming from the dance floor. The music was loud, making the floor underneath us vibrate. This was my scene, I wanted to be here all the time. The feeling of adrenaline pulsed through me.

I was excited to say the least. The prospect of multiple rounds of alcoholic drinks and male attention was getting to me, not to mention the perfect list of songs that were playing which was right up my alley.

"Shall we get a drink my darling Hadley?" Maya asked me in a shouting tone. I could barely make out what she was saying due to the music.

I reply yes and we walk towards the bar which was right against the dance floor. We slipped past people who were having fun, letting loose and being crazy.

To me this is what life is all about. Werewolves don't do this. We don't have these kinds of parties, we don't even have this kind of music at events. It's all live music played by talented musicians in the pack. We were so unmodernised.

The world was moving ahead with the times, with new technology. We did not. Yeah sure we have phones and electronic devices. But that's mostly the younger wolves such as myself and even then we're still not up to speed with the rest of the world. The packs don't even use transport that often, only the alpha and beta use transport and it's mostly for going to other packs or to export goods from our pack to another for trading.

Maya ordered us a tray of tequila and lime shots. There were four for each of us. We downed them fast without any delay. I planned to get completely obliterated and nothing would get in the way of that!

~🌙~