Chapter 26. How Do You Like Them Apple?

"Let's talk about Woodbridge, Virginia. You're a tenth of a loser. It's time to cowboy up here. The Abby Lee Dance Company dance company is somebody to beat. They're not thrilled that they won; they're thrilled that they beat you. You need to challenge yourself. So if your leg is here. Find the girl in class whose legs is here," she raises her hand over her head and go stand next to her at the bar. Fight for that. That's how you get better. You have to want to win more than I want it for you. Now I wanna talk about this week. We will be traveling to Ohio."

"Oh no!" Lexie groans. Only one thing... one person comes to Lexie's mind when she thinks of Ohio.

"We might see Kendall, and we might see Vivi-Anne. All I know is that the Abby Lee Dance Company will be so hot that they will become apple pie. And your group is gonna be like the á la mode," Abby demands. "The name of the group dance is 'Land Unforgiven.' It's about territory. We're going to Cathy's territory. We're gonna stick the steak right into the beef jerky. Everybody standing before me is in the group dance. However, I'm gonna bring a few ringers in, just like the wicked witch of the west."

Eyes widening, Lexie shares a look with Maddie. She said ringers, so that means more than one. Who's it gonna be? Payton? Who else?

"So, let's start at the bottom of the pyramid. Brooke. You're still on probation. Next, we have Mackenzie. How'd you get down there? What happened?" Abby makes chewing noises. "How many times did I tell you to spit your gum out?

"Maybe ten," Mackenzie replies.

Pressing her lips together, Lexie covers her smile. Don't admit it!

Abby looks over at Melissa. "So, that's nine-time too many. Next, Nia, I think you're there because you had a hard time with those turns. And it was your legs that needed straightening. So all that technique you worked on, what happened? Next Paige. You see the probation sticker? Hopefully, that's gonna come off of there. Next, we have Chloe. The group dance is where you made the mistake. The solo was good. The first person on top of the pyramid is Maddie. And the second person on top of the pyramid is Lexie."

Turning to her sister, Lexie smiles at her while Maddie reaches over for a hug.

"Now, I want to congratulate the two of you. Maddie, you went out there, you did 'Cry,' and you did it better than you've ever done it before. Lexie, you got a perfect score. The only perfect score this team has ever received. She's the one you should be standing next to at the barre."

Ducking her head, Lexie flushes. Usually, Abby just gives her passing compliments when she wins, so it was nice to hear that Abby holds her that high in regard.

"Paige, you're 11, you're going to be our title entrant, 9-11. You will be doing 'Tongue Twister,' it's your responsibility to know it," Abby announces. "She will not have a rehearsal. She's welcome to use the studio, but she has to get in here on her own. And I want to see a crown on your head. Yes? Alrighty. So, I'm gonna take this probation off right now. Chloe, you will also be doing a solo. It's entitled, 'Angry Bird.' Alright, so, ladies, you're dismissed; thank you. Girls spread apart really quick; let's go."

"Girls, listen to me," Abby gathers them around her when they're done with warmups. "We're going to our next-door neighbor, and we're gonna take her territory. She always throws those ringers in there, so I am out to get that hick from the sticks. I'm gonna pull three ringers in too. So I'm gonna invite the whole company in right now, and we're gonna look at them at legs and feet and see who fits in and who doesn't."

Lexie grins when the door opens, and the older girls and Brandon walk into the room. This is going to be fun.

"Come on, girls. It's not happy hours. I tell you the same thing every week." Abby urges them into the room. "I'm looking for three people to join their team-- the juniors. You need to learn a whole new number. We'll be doing it in three days. Some of you are gonna be too tall. Some of you are going to be too old. We are in that nine to 11 age category, and that's where we need to stay. Alright, face your barre. Tendu your right leg. Eight battements to the back. Up, across, up, down."