Chapter 18. Miami Heat Wave

"Come on, girls! Let's go!" Abby yells. "Come on! Move it! Move it! Move it! Let's go! Let's go!"

Lexie trods into studio A and stands beside Chloe.

"Congratulations on a great job at Fire and Ice. I think the judges said, 'I do.' Girls, I'm gonna talk about the pyramid, and I'm gonna start right here with..." Abby reaches for the end of the pyramid. "Paige. The arms. We talked about that; I've been on you the last few weeks. You need to be stronger and resist.

"Next, I have Brooke. I just want to see you smile. Even on your wedding day, it's like..." Abby gives an awkward smile. "You need to beam because I want to give you a solo. I want you out there doing a solo every single competition.

"Next, Mackenzie. You were in the group dance, but I need you to bring the level of your dancing up to the level that Maddie and Lexie were dancing at when she was seven. Moving on up, Chloe. I always want more from you. I keep telling you that. Next Nia. Nia, what did you think about your routine?"

"I thought I did pretty well," Nia replies.

Abby looks over at Holly. "And mom?"

"I was, please," Holly smiles. "I was excited to see her on stage and doing her best in a different type of dance. I think you can still get those high-energy performances without being 'stereotypical,' like musical theater could be something of interest."

"Right," Abby nods. "And next on the pyramid is Maddie. You did a good job taking over Lexie's part. And on top of the pyramid with her fourth solo win in a row, Lexie." Lexie's smile was bitter as everybody clapped for her. "I'm challenging you to go for that fifth win, and everybody else, I'm challenging you not to let that happen."

Abby rubs her hand together. "This weekend, we will be traveling to Miami Beach, Florida. There's sun, there's sand, and there's pool boys. We will all be performing a group number."

Mackenzie's hand shots to the air. "Even me?"

"Even you," Abby confirms.

With a smile, Mackenzie lowers her hands. "Yay."

"The group number is called 'Reputation,'" Abby continues. "I want you to think about Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon in 'Beach Blanket Bingo.' Now moms, when those girls get home tonight, I want you to look at some of those old movies.

"I want them to see what it's all about because that's gonna be their group number. It's '60, it's pony, it's swim, cute, cute, cute. Fun in the sun. This week, Lexie, you have another solo. Maddie, you have a solo. Chloe, you will also be doing a solo. My next soloist will be Nia. We also have a trio with Maddie, Chloe, and Paige."

Slowly Paige raises her hands.

"Yes," Abby nods at her.

"I'm just letting you know that I have to get my warts cut out of my feet tomorrow," Paige tells her.

"They said she should be fine to dance in three days," Kelly adds. "So we'll be cutting it close."

Abby licks her lip. "But I don't want to put her in a trio and then have her physically be in pain while she's learning it."

"We can't change the appointment. I've changed it like fifteen times. Sh-she's having a hard time walking on it," Kelly explains.

"You know what? I'm gonna have to think about that. I might put someone in the trio. You need to get that fixed that takes priority. So we need to start working on the group routine right away. It's gonna be a long week." Mackenzie, Lexie, and Maddie yawn. "Suck the yawns up. Quit yawning in my face. Spread apart, get ready to work. Moms..."