Chapter 31. Solo Fever

"Moms, welcome to Millennium. This is one of the primer dance studios in LA Alright ladies, this week we are staying right here in California," Abby announces.

Lexie claps quickly before dropping her arms to her side. It's been four weeks since their two-to-one win against Candy Apples, and they've gone through the ALDC showcase, and they even had a new girl join the team last week. Yeah, it's been crazy.

"Yes, but I want to talk about the iHollywood competition. And I want to compliment each and every one of you on that little girl Nicaya that came to our studio. You were all friendly; you all behaved like nice young ladies," Abby glowers at the moms. "You guys, I don't know what happened. Let's put iHollywood behind us. We are moving on the pyramid. On the bottom of the pyramid... Kendall."

"You're back on the team; that's where you have to start," Abby shrugs. "I thought you were outstanding in the group routine. It's those shoulders, the technique, everything that has to continue to improve. Next... Paige. You're coming off an injury. You did the group routine. I thought you did very well. You should be at 100 percent by this week. You need to dance full out. And next... Brooke, you were in the group dance, and you did not finish the routine on time with everybody else.

"And next, we have Maddie. Maddie, in the group dance, you just kind of blended in. A dancer like you should dance out amongst the crowd. Next Lexie. The same thing as Maddie, and this was a dark contemporary routine. The kind of thing you excel in."

"Okay," Lexie says aloofly. She wasn't surprised that she and Maddie are low on the pyramid. Ever since they refused to do their solos, Abby has been cold toward them. She hasn't given them a solo since. During the showcase, she took Maddie's lead role in 'Trap' and gave it to Chloe. Abby's gone over and above to try and make them miserable.

"Moving up the ladder, Nia," Abby says. "You were giving something different; the music was very difficult to choreograph to. It was also difficult to dance to. I thought you handled it really well. Your big problem is the technique. So you need to step it up, babe. Next, Chloe. Chloe, you made the top five; I want number one. You need to be consistent. You came out; you did two turns and bobbled all over the place.

"On top of the pyramid is Mackenzie, and I was very proud of you. This week we will be attending Int10sity dance competition. This is the competition that determines who is dancing at Nationals. Mackenzie, you are doing a solo. It's called 'A Perfect Day in the Sun.' Chloe, you will be doing another contemporary, lyrical routine entitled 'Ghost.' And Paige, you have a solo also.

"Kendall, you will be doing a solo. The name of your solo is 'Kiss, Kiss.' Nia, we're changing it up again for you. You're going to be doing a '60's inspired number. And Broke, you're gonna have to get your butt up in the air. The name of your solo is 'Fly.' So all your aerial work needs to be there. Lexie, you have a jazz solo."

Pressing her lips together, Lexie nods. At least I have a solo.

From the corner of her eye, she sees her Mom motion her head toward Abby. "Maddie, raise your hand," she mouths.

Slowly Maddie raises her hand. "Do I have a solo?"

Abby shakes her head. "Maddie, I'm not hurting your feelings, but I have a bunch of other kids that want to do solos."

"She wants to do a solo very bad," Melissa defends.

Scowling, Abby gestures rudely to Melissa. "I understand, but you. Interrupted her and wanted her not to do it because you were afraid of losing all your friends." She turns back to Maddie. "Maddie, toughen up; you're gonna go an audition and not get picked someday. Get it? And you need to stand there with a smile on your face."