035

It was the following day and I was back at Hogwarts to get Artemis and Falkor, and I was heading up to the castle. Mad eye moody had taken up the position up defence against the dark arts teacher this year, I have known mad eye for years, we often went on jobs together during our time in the ministry, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Charlie had gone back to the burrow because this morning there was a piece in the daily prophet about mr Weasley:

FURTHER MISTAKES AT THE MINISTRY

It seems at though the ministry of magics troubles are not yet at an end, writes Rita skeeter. Recently under fire for its poor crowd control at the quidditch World Cup, and still unable to account for the disappearance of one of its witches, the ministry was plunged into fresh embarrassment yesterday by the antics of Arnold Weasley, of the misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office.

Arnold Weasley, who was charged with possession of a flying car two years ago, was yesterday involved with a tussle with several muggle
law - keepers ('policemen') over a number of highly aggressive dust bins. Mr Weasley appears to have rushed to the aid of 'mad eye' moody, the aged
ex-Auror who retired from the ministry when no longer able to tell the difference between a handshake and attempted murder. Unsurprisingly, mr Weasley found, upon arrival at mr moodys heavily guarded house, that mr moody had once again raised false alarm. Mr Weasley was forced to modify several memories before he could escape from the police men, but refused to answer daily prophet questions about why he had involved the ministry in such an undignified and potentially embarrassing.

There was more written but that was as far as I got before charlie scrunched it up in anger and threw it in the fire.

I walked into the entrance hall of Hogwarts. It was full of students, all hustling around, carrying multiple books, it was the first day back to classes, and it seemed to be lunch time as everyone was making there way into the great hall, even so the entrance hall was packed. I glanced around looking to see it mad eye was going to lunch, and in the far right corner I spotted Harry, Ron, Hermione, draco malfoy, crabbe and goyle.

Harry and Hermione were tugging Ron backwards, Ron looked like he was trying to throw himself at malfoy. I saw Harry's lips moving and then a wave of fury crossed malfoys face. I started making my way towards them but the entrance hall is packed and there on the other side of the hall. Malfoy said something and then Harry said something and turned away. The second Harry had his back turned malfoy snatched his wand from his pocket, and raised it. The second I noticed this I did the same, I was about to send a protection spell towards Harry and just as I was about to do it.

BANG

Several people screamed, something white missed Harry's face by centimetres, Harry plunged his hand into his robe for his wand but a second later there was another loud BANG, and a roar which echoed through the entrance hall.

"OH NO YOU DON' T, LADDIE!"

My eyes snapped to the marble staircase. Mad eye was limping down the staircase, his wand was out and it was pointing right at a pure white ferret, which was shivering on the
stone - flagged floor, exactly where Malfoy had been standing. I pushed some students out of the way, making my way over to the group and ferret.

There was a terrified silence in the entrance hall. Nobody but me and moody were moving a muscle. Moody turned to look at Harry, at least his normal eye, his magic eye was pointing out the back of his head where the ferret was.