Story

Grant groggily got up as he shook his head to clear the image of gelatin teddy bears that had been chasing him.  Rubbing the back of his head, he winced as he could actually feel a bruise forming. 

"Are you okay?" A soft female voice asked him, a British accent in her voice. 

Looking up, Grant literally recoiled when he saw a beautiful female before him sitting daintily on his desk, leant over slightly towards him, her legs dangling barefoot.   He rubbed his eyes but as he opened them back up the female was still before him.  She had her head cocked this time, her shoulder length brown hair falling off her shoulder as she did so.  Not being able to help himself, he reached out almost to touch her but halfway there, he pulled his hand back. 

Light caramel brown eyes met his as one word echoed through his mind. Angel. He had obviously died and gone to heaven having hit his head too hard, probably bleeding out and with no one in the office, he hadn't been able to be saved in time.  Looking around him though, he made a face.  Why the heck did his heaven look a lot like the office?  Now that was disappointing. He whirled his head back to the gorgeous female perched on his desk.  She had a small smile on her lips now as her legs crossed.  Maybe he was still dreaming and he had gone from the demonic gelatin teddy bears like those from the draft he'd been editing to a much better one with an angel like heroine.  "You're just dreaming again Grant.  Like Inception you're just getting into another level of your dreams." He shook his head.  However his head shot up as a girlish laugh left the beauty's lips. 

"This isn't a dream Master."

"Master?" Grant echoed. 

"I'm your genie,"

"My, my what?" Grant asked sitting up now as a puzzled expression colored his face.  "Genie!" He exclaimed. 

The beauty nodded before simply pointing at the lamp laying beside him. 

Grant looked down by his thigh at the lamp in disbelief.  "You're really a genie?"

"Yes," She said with a smile. 

"Why do you look like as if you're from my time and have a British accent?" He asked rather confused yet utterly intrigued. 

With his question, his genie looked down at herself seeming to just notice that she was wearing a black skirt with a conservative but simple pretty top that made her neck quite swan like.  "Because," She said looking at him. "I look like what you imagine me as." She simply said with a small smile. 

Grant's eyes widened at her response.  "But, but, I mean." He didn't quite know what he was trying to say so he just shut his jaw and stared.  "The accent too?" He squeaked at last. 

She just nodded. 

"So you're really a genie and you look like what I imagine you as, you don't have a physical look, just what I imagine?" He clarified. 

Again she just nodded, not saying anything. 

"Disney lied to me," He joked as he ran a hand through his brown hair.  He couldn't help but be rather proud when the beauty, his genie apparently, laughed, her laugh almost like a magical twinkle.  "Do you have a name?" He asked more curious now and in honesty, wanting to hear her voice as all she'd done so far was nod at his questions. 

Shaking her head, "No, you must name me."

"Me?!" He exclaimed.  Aladdin sure was misleading if he wasn't dreaming, not that he didn't think he was.  This was all much too surreal to be true but it was one of the best dreams he'd had, ever. Looking up he once again eyed his genie.  Before he could help it he just blurted "Story."

Story blinked twice at him before a smile graced her face.  "Of course Master."

Grant winced.  "Please don't call me that.  This is the Twenty-First century.  Just call me Grant." 

Story parted her mouth slightly, her rose pink lips mouthing his name before saying it out loud. "Master Grant."

This time Grant sat straight up, shaking his head.  "No, no, just Grant, no master please." He asked.

Biting her lips slightly, Story tried once more.  "Grant," She said slowly, stretching it out as she did so. 

A grin on his lips, Grant nodded.  "So you're like the three wishes kind of genie Story?" He asked to be sure.

"Yes," Story nodded. 

Well not everything was a lie.  He thought with a laugh. 

"Did I say something funny Mas- Grant?" She quickly corrected herself. 

"Sort of, Story," He said quite liking how her name rolled off his tongue even if it was all a dream.  "What happens Story when I make all three wishes?"

"I disappear," Story said with a small smile. 

"Ah, okay." Grant said humoring her. 

"Do you have a wish I could grant... Grant." Story asked. 

Grant laughed at the pun of his name.  "Well," He said still in jest.  "I guess you were supposed to be my birthday present to my mom."

"Oh my," Story parted her lips.   

"I just wish I could give her the best birthday gift possible, everything she wanted, but I'm as broke as they come sadly." Grant shook his head, looking down at his lap in misery thus missing that his genie had a smile on her lips. 

"Your wish is mine to grant." She said before a mist surrounded them. 

~~~

"What a strange dream," Grant muttered to himself as he woke up the next morning.  Yawning he got out of bed but as he began to walk towards his bathroom, he noticed that he was about to walk into a wall.  "Whoa," He said pushing his arms out to prevent running into said wall.  Pushing himself back, he looked around, his eyes widening more so as he took everything in.  Holy shit he was in his childhood room.  Whirling around, he ran out the door.  He nearly ran into his fifteen year old sister as he did so. 

"Watch it!" Jenna Gallagher yelled as she walked past him.  "Just because you're home for Mom's birthday doesn't mean you can ignore the rules.  I still get the bathroom first!"

Grant ignored her as he grasped her shoulders.  Feeling her warm skin underneath his fingers, "You're not a dream are you." He said rather breathlessly.

"Of course not Giant," she said, reverting to the nickname she gave him upon her not growing beyond her five feet four inches while he towered over her with his over six feet structure. 

He didn't even say anything at the nickname as he ran downstairs. 

~~~

"Honey?" His Mom asked as she spotted him under the archway leading to the kitchen.  "I thought you'd still be in bed,  you arrived so late last night.  I guess the city really has changed your sleeping habits." She tsked. "Sit down, sit down, I'm making breakfast." She ushered. 

In shock Grant did just that.  He sat down, just staring at his mother busy in the kitchen making breakfast. 

"Good morning Master, I mean Grant!" Story said, hitting the side of her cheek at her lapse of his name. 

"Holy shit!" Grant nearly fell out of his chair once more. 

"Grant Christopher Gallagher!" His mother yelled yet he didn't see anything except his genie perched over the grandfather clock.