- 𝟏𝟎

⃗

..⃗. [ "𝚂𝙾 𝙼𝚄𝙲𝙷 𝙵𝙾𝚁 𝙷𝙰𝚅𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝙵𝚄𝙽" ] 𑁍ࠜೄ ・゚ˊˎ
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

COACH BLEW HIS WHISTLE AND HEADED OFF THE ICE, the kids around him practicing as hard as they could. They skated back and forth, practicing their stopping techniques.

"This isn't very much fun, coach" Charlie pulled his helmet off, bending over and placing his hands on his knees to take a breath. "Who said it was supposed to be fun?" He looked down at the boy. Darcy rolled her eyes as she heard his comment.

"You did, when you coached the ducks." Charlie answered, the team behind them standing in a huddle. "Well, I don't see any ducks here, Charlie" He stood eye to eye with Charlie, they were the same height right about now so they could talk eye to eye most of the time.

"Twenty more sprints, let's go!" Coach yelled, blowing his whistle, "line up! Come on, let's go!" Charlie stood there and shook his head looking down, coach turned to him. "Line up, Charlie." He looked at him. "Come on" Darcy skated over slowly, sighing at their 'Coach' and bringing him to the line.

"Let's go! Keep you here all night if I have to!" He blew his whistle and everyone carried on doing sprints. It tired them all out to the point they struggled to stay awake in class the next day.

Almost everyone had their heads on their desks or half asleep on their hands. They felt bad because Ms Mackay was trying to teach them but they tried as hard as they could. Luis had his bag on the desk, sound asleep with his head on it.

Darcy was sat between Charlie and averman with her head on Charlie's shoulder and his right arm around her as he rested his head on his fist. Ms Mackay walked over to Luis and shook him gently. "Not my best . . ." Luis mumbled in his sleep.

"Luis" ms Mackay bent down to his level. "Sorry" he apologised as he lifted his head. She looked confused at the group of sleeping kids. "Anyone who's awake wanna explain why everyone is so tired?" She stood at the front of the class.

"Coach Bombay had us practicing 'till 4am last night, he yelled at us for not doing well against Iceland even though they were killin' us and we did the best we could" Darcy spoke up, her eyes still shut though. "Bombay did that?" She asked in disbelief.

"Mhm" Julie sighed, rubbing her eyes to keep them open. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry guys. Go back to your rooms and get some rest, I'll cancel all practice for today" she explained to them, letting them go.

****

"Let's go!" Coach walked into the locker room to see everyone's gear all hung up and it was empty. "Team?" He walked around, "hello?!" "Hey guys, hello?" He asked as he walked into the showers only to turn around and see Miss Mackay.

"I cancelled their practice." She told him, her arms crossed. "W—What're ya talking about? Where are they?" He stuttered. "They needed a day off. Trust me. "I need 'em here to practice!"

"Well, they need to rest! You've been running those children ragged. They can barely stay awake in class. They're calling you captain blood." She spoke harshly to him, wanting him to understand. "I am preparing these kids for battle. Can you understand that?" He walked to the Lady.

"We win the gold we go on to bigger things."
"Bigger things?!"
"That's right!"

"Please! Gordon, it's a game! You said it yourself. Games should be fun, remember?" He just looked at her, remembering everything he said.

****

"And hold, two, three—" Dean led the warm up, everyone stretching on the field. "Coach isn't here. Why do we have to be?" Connie asked, a few people agreeing with her.

"We have a game tonight, we have to work out" Dean replied. Goldberg stood up, stretching his back. "I say mutiny, who's with me?" "At this point, we might as well" Darcy stopped stretching, sitting on the floor with her legs out in front of her.

"Goldberg, Henderson. I'm too tired to mutiny" Dwayne stood up, sighing at the end of his sentence. "Come on guys, it's not like we couldn't use the conditioning." Julie rested her hands on her knees. "Speak for yourself, babe." Dean fired at the girl.

"Her names Julie, not babe." Adam stood up and walked to Dean. "Don't, tell me how to talk, rich boy!" Dean stormed up to Adam, the two of them standing face to face as Dean pushed Adam back. "Hey Portman, chill!" Fulton pushed Dean back, standing in front of Adam.

"Y'all really have the energy to get up?" Darcy breathed out, pushing herself up. "Guys just calm down, everyone's worked up and annoyed at coach don't take it out on each other." Darcy stood in front of Dean, blocking him from the rest of the group.

"Yo! Team USA what are you gonna do today, a million jumping jacks?" The same boy from a few nights ago asked, standing at the gates with his rollerblades on. "Aren't you the kid I told to shut the fuck up?" Darcy turned to him as he nodded with a bright smile.

"This kids crazier than me! Forget about him, look Fulton!" Dean pushed past the group to Fulton. "Portman stop it!" Darcy hit the back of his head as everyone tried to stop him.

"Hey man, I'm gettin' sick o' you!" Jesse yelled to the boy. "And I'm getting sick of seein' the USA represented by a bunch of whining babies" he smirked. "Well too bad you can't back up that mouth!" Jesse spat. "Me and my boys can take you anytime, anywhere." He skated up to them.

"I don't see no 'boys'" Jessie looked around.

"I got 'em waitin'. Grab your gear and let's go play some schoolyard puck. Or maybe you forgot what it's like to play for real pride." The boy suggested as he was taken out by security.

THE MIGHTY DUCKS , C.CONWAY
JUNE 11TH 2021