16. breaking free

sixteen,
breaking free

        THE DRESSING ROOM was utter chaos as everyone prepared for Act Two

THE DRESSING ROOM was utter chaos as everyone prepared for Act Two. "Phoebe," Natalie Bagley's voice got Phoebe's attention away from her sheet music. Ashlyn had asked Phoebe a while back if she'd be willing to play Wondering for her. Of course Phoebe had agreed and had had enough time to learn the song, but now she was worried that she'd mess it up and ruin Ashlyn's moment. "You've got to get to the piano!"

"Okay," Phoebe mumbled, getting up and grabbing her sheet music before making her way to the orchestra section in the gym.

"Wow," Nini walked out from the wings. "So this is your real stage?" Based on the way she paused when she saw EJ, she clearly had not been informed about the switch. Phoebe guessed a lot of people hadn't.

"Guess you could call it that," EJ replied. "Or just a smelly gym."

Nini whispered something to EJ that Phoebe couldn't make out, her mic covered. EJ didn't answer as he handed her the basketball for her to shoot. Nini threw it and missed completely.

"Woah," EJ walked forward to get the ball. "Don't tell me you're good at hoops too."

"Um. . ." Nini chuckled awkwardly. "I once scored 41 points at a league championship game."

"No way."

"Uh, yeah," Nini went on. "And the same day I invented the space shuttle and microwave." Nini leaned forward and covered her mic again.

"Miss, I'm sorry," the kid playing Coach Bolton, Dennis, and Ashlyn walked out. "This is a closed practice."

"Dad, practice is over," EJ argued.

"Uh, no, it's all good," Nini said, shaking her head. "I'll be getting in the way."

"Uh, we can stay and shoot some hoops," Carlos, who was filling in for Chad, spoke when Nini ran away. "Right, bro?" He weakly punched EJ's shoulder.

Ashlyn walked over to EJ. "And I expect to see you back in detention pronto to prepare for the musical, young man."

"Hang on," Dennis interrupted. "East High is about basketball, not dance numbers. If you wanted to do theater, you should have stayed in New York, Ms. Darbus."

The lights dimmed and Phoebe began playing Wondering as the spotlight went on Ashlyn. "Seems like a part of me with always have to lose every single time I have to choose. Swore that it felt right but was I wrong? Is this where I'm supposed to be at all? I don't have the answers, not today. It's like nothing makes the questions go away. What I'd give to see if the grass was greener. On the other side of all I've had and lost. . . would it be enough, or would I still be wondering? If I could go back and change the past, be a little braver than I had and bet against the odds, would I still be lost?"