08. homecoming

eight,
frustrated drama teacher

        IT WAS THE night of Homecoming

IT WAS THE night of Homecoming. Phoebe stared at herself in the mirror. She was wearing a simple black dress with combat boots. Her hair was curled, curtesy of Clara, since she couldn't really do anything else with it.

Phoebe and Ricky had gotten a lot closer since he showed up at her doorstep. They didn't really talk about what had happened, but she made sure to check up on him every week. Ricky had asked Phoebe if she was planning on going to homecoming. She had been, but with Clara. Clara had decided that both girls shouldn't not go to the dance just because they were single. They thought about finding dates but settled on going with each other. When Ricky asked her if she wanted to go with him, she felt bad basically saying no and suggested that they, including Big Red, could all go as a group.

Phoebe took a deep breath and walked back into her room. The bathroom was too small for both girls to get ready in, so Clara took Phoebe's room and Phoebe took the bathroom. Clara's homecoming dress was light pink and very sparkly. She'd put her hair in braids the night before and left them in all day so her hair was also curly. She looked amazing.

Phoebe's phone went off, Ricky texting to tell her that they were there to pick them up. "Ricky's here," she informed Clara, texting back that they would be down soon.

"Okay," Clara responded, quickly double-checking of her makeup. She quickly got up and walked over to Phoebe, examine her face. "I'm taking backup lipgloss and mascara." She grabbed Phoebe's hand and they walked down the stairs together. Ricky and Big Red were standing at the end of the stairs, along with James and Jack (who Phoebe assumed was forced to be there or he wanted to see Clara because he had a bit of a crush on her).

"Wait," James quickly said, pulling out his phone to take pictures.

"Dad-" Phoebe whined, shaking her head as she motioned for him to cut it out.

"I just want you to remember your last homecoming," James responded, pulling her in and quickly placing a kiss on the top of her head. "You look beautiful."

Phoebe was sure she was going to remember it. It was going to be her first homecoming without going with EJ. "Thank you," Phoebe smiled at him.

She looked over at Ricky. He blinked and looked down at the roses in his hand. "I, um, I wasn't really sure if we were supposed to get you guys anything but we got flowers. Uh - we were going to get yellow but they only had one thing of yellow, so you get red."

"Why yellow," Clara questioned as Big Red handed her her flowers.

"Yellow roses symbolize friendship," Big Red explained himself.