Chapter 21

Kyle returned home before Nefertiti that afternoon. He gave her time to finish her homework, which wasn’t much being this was her last week before Thanksgiving break. He tried to keep himself busy, but he felt so anxious for her to be finished.

“You waiting on me Kyle? You keep pacing like a worried Lion.” Nefertiti laughed not looking up from her homework page.

“Yeah. I sort of need your help with something.” He answered sheepishly. He hadn’t known his ‘keeping busy’ was so distracting.

“Well. Shoot. I’m finished anyway.” She told him as she put away her things.

“I need to speak with my mother again.”

“What’s wrong?” She paused immediately in the middle of putting a book back in her backpack to look at his face.

“Nothing’s wrong. I need her help with an opening spell.” He said with his hands up as if trying to calm a panicking animal.

“Opening spell?” Nefertiti asked confused.

“Yes. I found what I suspect is her grimiore.” The light in Nefertiti’s eyes sparked with excitement.

“I thought that the Lockland’s didn’t have grimiores. You know because of Ancestor.”

“I’m betting she avoided the amulet magick as much as I do. Especially once she began learning the family’s true history.” Folding away the remainder of her books and homework she walked to the couch and waited for him to follow. He hesitated for a second before sitting beside her. Silently she held her hand out to him and closed her eyes. He placed his hand in her’s and followed suit.

A pulling sensation overtook his body as if pulling his very essence from deep within. Once free, he floated through the veil with little resistance before Nefertiti let his hand go. Warmth filed him as the ‘limbo’s’ absent sun beat on his skin.

“Come. She’s waiting in the gazebo.” Nefertiti instructed.

“How do you know?” he asked perplexed.

She stared into space a moment before answering, “I’m not sure. I just sort of know.” She shrugged it off and walked away again. He followed. The distance seemed longer this time, that or he just couldn’t wait.

“The gazebo came into view but looked different this time. Rather than the white wash from his last visit it looked to be stained dark brown. The color, though pleasing to the eyes, threw him off making him stumble to a halt for a moment.

“Things change here all the time.” Nefertiti said without missing a beat. She didn’t look back but just walked up the steps where his mother materialized.

Kyle.” His mother said with love flowing deeply through just his name. “I’ve been watching you.”

“When?” he asked hesitantly thinking of his lunch date with Alex.

Oh don’t worry. No peeking into private times. I wouldn’t do that.” She laughed at his panicked expression. “You’ve found my book.”

“Yes. But I can’t do anything with it.”

You didn’t want to even chance a guess as to how to access it?” she smiled.

“Knowing how much you must have gone through in order to keep that book, I am sure trying unsuccessfully would prove to be rather hazardous.” She laughed. A sound he greatly missed.

Indeed.” Looking to Nefertiti she said, “Would you mind? I’m sure your mother would love to see you.”

“Yes ma’am. I’ll be back soon. I still can’t stay long. Ten minutes max.” Nefertiti warned as she left the gazebo.