17. Don't Do Friendship

Start from the beginning

He is a great friend though-

I would never admit it to him.

Madison- it was the name Moreno had uttered. The spark of fury that lived and died within seconds on his eyes wasn't so fast enough to evade me. she could be his ex, she could still be his something if it was enough to poison his ever happy smile even for a minute. I don't intend to find out because divulging deeper would only open him more to me, and the bounteous it gets the further damage it could do to my heart.

I am contended to befriending his surface. I can't risk reaching his soul.

And so I throw my mind into concluding the final drafts for the next four days. Latching myself in the gaming room I only came out to cook meals that were instant. The poor shrimps froze within the refrigerator momentarily. Lee wasn't home either- with his hotel project and its construction modifications nearing a deadline, he was always out dressed in a three-piece suit and a distressed face. But he rang me up every three or four hours to check on me and my food intake.

I aimed to assure him that I would never cook the shrimp or japchae without him since he paid for the grocery. By his end of the line, I only received a silence, and when he spoke there was always a hint of a smile in his voice.

By the weekend I had the first rough edition packed and sent to the editor. I spent an hour bawling my eyes out as I realized how the trilogy that I had initially begun in my room as a sixteen-year-old scrawny kid with running nose and pigtails, ended with me sitting in the middle of a multi-million dollar penthouse in Las vegas six years later.

I bestowed the lead characters with a happy ending, they deserved it after the turmoil I had put them through. I hope when Lee finds it out, he might hate Elixir a little less than he already does. With that, I wait for the draft to get polished, edited, and printed in a month, the editor tolerates me because I pay her twice the price to have it done quickly since I seldom submit the chapters on time. which reminded me of my duelist again.

I can't afford to procrastinate.

So on the morning was the weekend, I wake up Lee with a surprise breakfast for him decorated on a portable desk. Meals on bed gets the job done, always. He sat up with his bed hair angry on his face, a contrast to how elated he was to be served as a prince. He indeed was a knight for me today.

"You like it?" I chirp when I said I was ardently getting comfortable around and with him. I meant it. It oddly seems to throw him off guard every single time as he stared passively at me with dazed eyes.

"Who wouldn't?" he grins inhaling the aroma with a cute sound that he produced from the back of his throat. With the same throat the causes the unintentionally seductive groans when things don't go well for him at work "You trying on what here missy?" he wiggled his brows as I took a seat on the bed facing him. I rub my hands with an ecstatic smile.

"I am trying to get you to help me"

A single brow arcs this while.

"And what would that be?" he drawls out slipping his fingers through the hand of the large porcelain coffee mug. I scoot near him. it was weekend, he could- I want him to-

"You are going to help me buy my own car today"

He had the mug slanted as he siped, his eyes conveyed how he was on to this idea already. It shone with an impressive indication.

"What do I get in return?" he asks suggestively, even biting his lips to get the joke across. Instead of blushing or wasting time I fork the seasoned watermelon and shoved it into his mouth.