"Like I'm going to let you leave on your own while that girl is in the hospital." Athena snapped at him, grabbing the keys from his hand. "I'm going with you, and I'll drive." 

"There's no way we're staying here," Hen argued from the table, her voice was hoarse. One of her best friends was in the hospital, like hell would she stay behind. She had to call Karen and Farrah. They would both want to know. All of them, together, they were Jane's family. They wouldn't stay behind while she was there.

"Like hell am I just waiting around when she was with me at the hospital longer than anyone," Chimney said, his voice uncharacteristically hard. Jane had been there from the time he was admitted to the time he woke up. Everyone else took up their shifts but Jane gave up some of her vacation days to be there for him. He would NEVER forget that.

"Neither am I." Buck said, pushing up from the table. He'd had been sitting there and at the news that Jane had been attacked, it was as if his heart had stopped. Jane was quite literally, the kindest person he had in his life. The idea that someone had attacked her was...unthinkable to him.

"I'm not just going to stay here worrying. I'm coming." Eddie stood up beside the team, bouncing anxiously on his toes, ready to move. He needed to do something to help, or to hit something, whichever became available first.

"Let's move then," Hen told them, pushing them all out the door as she pushed Chimney towards the bar to close their tab.

........

After pushing the speed limit, the entire drive, members of the 118 rushed into the emergency room and went straight to the check-in desk. Athena had just started to demand information when they were approached by a doctor and a police officer. The doctor was an older man with thin gray hair and silver glasses. The officer was an African American man in his mid-forties, heavyset with a steely, knowing gaze.

"Are one of you Bobby Nash?" the doctor looked over the group.

"I am," Bobby answered, and then he turned to the rest of the group.

"Well, I have updates on the status of Miss Thomas," he looked at the large crowd, and Bobby realized he was hesitating.

He turned to the crew. "You all go to the waiting room. I'll be over there shortly."

The group cautiously nodded and did what he said, although all of them kept looking back, wanting and needing to do something. They needed to know that Jane was going to be alright. She had to be alright. 

Once the crew was out of hearing range, the Doctor turned to Bobby with a neutral expression. The officer beside him was equally as expressionless. Bobby recognized the professional look. He'd worn the same expression too many times and it was never a good sign.

"Mr. Nash, Miss Thomas suffered a broken rib, severe concussion, and larynx bruising. There is swelling to the brain from being deprived of oxygen for some time before the paramedics arrived. She also suffered deep but mostly superficial bruising and swelling to her face and hands that have been cleaned. Right now, we are just waiting for her to wake up to determine the extent of her tracheal injuries."

"But," Bobby looked at him steadily, trying to maintain his composure. "You expect her to wake up, right?"

The man pinched his lips, "We aren't sure. She was deprived of Oxygen for around three minutes if we're lucky. Even if she does wake up, we aren't sure what her condition will be. As I told the officer," He gestured to the grim-faced policeman, "I can't make a guarantee of anything. Except that the other man brought in is fine."

"The other man brought in?!" Bobby looked to the officer. "Who was it? What happened? On the phone, someone said she'd been attacked?"

"Firefighter Thomas called into dispatch reporting that a man had broken into her home, stabbed her cat, and that she'd fought him off. He cut an artery in their struggle, and she administered first aid to him. At that point, he woke up and..." he trailed off, as if debating what to say, then he told Bobby the grim details about the 911 call, from the break in through to the end.