Chapter 3

Gringotts 

To say Ariana is embarrassed would be an understatement. Not only had she just thrown up when traveling by something Professor Dumbledore called apparation. But Chiron had also scolded her for being extremely rude in front of the person she was rude to.

However Dumbledore seemed very calm and relaxed about everything that was happening. His eyes were twinkling with amusement.

"Do not worry Ariana it happens to the best of us when we apparate for the first time."

I nod and look around. I notice we are in the middle of a bustling road lined with shops.

"Why are we here."

"Because this is the entrance to Diagon Alley."

"In the middle of the street?"

"No of course not. We need to go to that building, the Leaky Cauldron."

I look to see where he is pointing and I see a tiny, grubby-looking pub, and if Dumbledore hadn't pointed it out I never would have noticed it. When I looked around I noticed that the people hurrying by didn't even glance at it. Their eyes slid from the big book shop on one side to the record shop on the other as if they couldn't see the Leaky Cauldron at all. In fact Ariana had the most peculiar feeling that only her and Dumbledore could see it. Before she could mention this, Dumbledore led her inside the Leaky Cauldron.

When she walked in she was not expecting it to be as dark and shabby as it was. A few groups of old men and women were sitting around tables drinking tiny glasses of sherry. A little man in a top hat was talking to the old bartender, who was quite bald and looked like a toothless walnut. When her and Dumbledore walked in the buzz of chatter stopped. Everyone seemed to know Dumbledore and; they waved and smiled at him, the bartender reached for a glass saying. "Would you like butterbeer today Albus?"

"I apologize Tom, but not today. I'm on Hogwarts business. I have to escort young Ariana here to get her supplies." Dumbledore tells the bartender.

The bartender looks at her. "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss...?"

"Po..."

"Ariana unfortunately we need to go start retrieving your supplies if you want to make it back to camp before dinner. Farewell Tom, I will see you later." Dumbledore interrupts softly.

"Goodbye Albus."

Dumbledore steers Ariana toward the back of the building and out a door where there is a small, walled courtyard, with nothing but a trash can and a few weeds.

"Why are we back here."

"Because this is the entrance to Diagon Alley." Dumbledore says simply.

"What! How can a brick wall be an entrance."

"Magic Ms. Potter. Magic."

I watch as Dumbledore pulls a long wooden stick out of his sleeve and taps the brick wall in a weird pattern. When he touched the final brick that brick started quivering. It wriggled. In the middle of the wall, a small hole appeared. This hole kept growing wider and wider until there was an archway large enough for Chiron to walk through if he was here.

"Welcome Ariana. To Diagon Alley."

Dumbledore smiles as I stare in amazement. Dumbledore guides me through the archway and I turn around to see it close behind us. I see lots of different stores, but the first one I see is for cauldrons. I read the sign that's hanging over the shop. Cauldrons-All Sizes-Copper, Brass, Pewter, Silver- Self Stirring- Collapsable.