[14] There's nowhere you can go that isn't where fate meant for you to be

Začít od začátku

"Now?" Scott questions.

Hank double checks. "Yeah, um I think-"

"Just open your eyes Scott." I interrupt. "The worst thing you're going to do is singe a bird."

"What if I like birds?" He asks somewhat cockily.

I furrow a brow. "Do you?"

He takes a moment to respond. "Nah."

With that he opens his eyes. For a moment I tense in anticipation but after a solid ten seconds I allow myself to relax.

"Do they work?" Hank questions a silent Scott.

Scott doesn't speak for a while. He just stands still, letting his mouth fall in awe.

"Scott?" I ask.

"It's...Whoa. I-I can see." He exclaims as he looks up at the sky. "Thank you. Professor, thank you. You're a genius."

Hank shakes his head. "No, no I'm not a professor. I wish."

"Hey, so what if you're not a professor." I say. "You're still the smartest person I've ever met."

"Smarter than Charles?" Hank smiles.

I just smirk. "Don't tell him I said that."

Hank laughs and goes to say something else when suddenly Scott speaks up. "Hey. Whos that?"

I follow his sightline and look out into the distance. Sitting down against a tall tree is none other than Jean, doing some extra homework.

"I believe you two met," Hank starts. "That's Jean Grey."

He questions, "Jean..?"

"The girl you were talking about yesterday. The rare baseball card." I joke, watching my friend tuck a strand of red hair behind her ears.

"Wait, that's her?" He questions.

Hank nods. "Yeah."

I look up at Scott, a strange look plastered across his face. One that I can't quite pinpoint. It's odd in a way that I've never seen before, odd enough that I decide to listen into his thoughts and figure out what it means.

'Pretty.'

The single word seems so loud in his head. He's not wrong, Jean is very pretty. I mean, her long hair and striking eyes. Something about his statement though just feels wrong. It feels horrible, like something wonderful has suddenly been ripped away. It takes me a few more seconds to realize that I can't sense other people's feelings, that those must be my own. But...why? Why would such a silly word make me so upset? It doesn't make any sense, none at all.

"Maybe I should, uh, apologize." Scott suddenly says. "I did kinda bump into her the other day."

"She didn't seem too upset about it." I frown.

Hank sighs. "No, you were a little rude to her, Scott. I think she'd like an apology."

"Great-or I mean..." He starts walking in her direction. "Thank you again, Sir."

"You don't need to thank me, Scott." He says.

"And..." Scott trails off. "I liked hanging out with you, Elle. Thanks for showing me around."

I watch him walk away, not even taking a moment to hear my response.

"No problem." I murmur.

Once Scott reaches Jean, he immediately starts up an unheard conversation. Within only a few moments they're both smiling and looking like they're having a great time.