Coping and conforming

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Tim, I haven't been around him long, but I'm pretty positive Jason wouldn't blame you. He loves you." Seeing how he cared for Tim, doing everything he could to make him happy, I knew there was no way in hell he'd ever think anything bad like this.

I for one didn't.

Tim was the bravest person I knew. He'd been dealt shit twice now, but fought tooth and nail for himself. It was time he let us help him fight. He wasn't alone. He never was, but now he had Jason too.

"Talk to him. Trust me Tim, he only wants to help. Stop fighting alone. You're not alone. Let him help you the way we can't." Tim's eyes widened as he looked at me, opening his mouth to argue, but I just smiled.

"He can help you better than we ever could. Use that. Talk to him. Please." My voice cracked at the very end and I mentally scalded myself, though, it seemed to be the push Tim needed.

He nodded and sat up a little more, puffing his chest out as he took a deep breath. "Okay. Okay." I watched as he turned to Jason, gently grabbing his hand to pull his attention away from Dick and Roy.

Jason's eyes narrowed in worry when he turned to Tim, moving a hand to his cheek. "Baby?" Tim cut him off. "Jay...I need...I need to talk to you. A-alone please." With a nod, Jason was standing up and carefully helping Tim stand.

Dick was about to get up, but Kori laid a hand on his arm. "They need a private moment." I could tell Dick didn't like that, but he nodded and stayed in his seat.

Once Jason and Tim were gone, I sighed in relief and turned to Dick. "It'll be okay now. He just needed a little push. Jason will make this better." Dick gave me a look, biting his tongue a moment then sighed.

"You really think he will?" Nodding, I sat back in my seat. "Absolutely. Jason is the person Tims always needed. The one to fix his pain and help him become a better version of himself."

The version he was always meant to be.

Roy quickly changed the subject, pulling Kori and Dick into it immediately.

I sat there, half listening, but mostly just thinking to myself how in such a short time, our lives had all changed.

Now more than ever, I felt like a real brother to Tim. Someone he could actually count on and talk to. I had Jason to thank for that.

So yes, I did believe he would help Tim through this. Because he had already done so much in just a few days. He'd become Tim's beacon by just being himself. By just being with Tim. By loving him in a way we couldn't. I just hoped Tim realized that as much as I did.
__________________________________

Damian's POV 6yr old

"Tim?" I knocked on his door. It opened by itself when I did, so I just walked in, looking around for him. "Tim, wanna play?" I looked around his room, eyeing the simple furniture and decor.

Daddy had let him decorate, but Tim didn't really seem into it, so it was still the same from before he got here. Dick said to just give him time, but it had been a month. I think. I'm not good with days sometimes.

I heard a soft snore and turned towards the windows, stopping when I saw him sitting in a big armchair. Asleep. He was curled up, hugging himself and pouting in his sleep.

I should just leave him alone, but I want to play. Daddy said I had to try and be nice. Asking him to play was being nice.

"Tim?" I walked to him and reached my hand out, touching his arm gently. He jerked awake and pulled away from me, looking scared and confused and kinda panicked.

I gasped, pulling away quickly and stepping back a little in surprise. "I-I'm sorry." I hadn't meant to scare him. He definitely scared me though.

His eyes were wide as he looked at me. "Don't touch me. Get out." Even though he spoke quietly, it was still harsh. I didn't mean to scare him. Or hurt him. It was still hard to remember he didn't like to be touched.

My lip twitched into a frown, but I took a deep breath, standing a few feet away from him now. "I just wanted to play. I didn't mean to hurt you." I pulled my toy out of my pocket to show him, smiling a little.

He just hugged himself tightly. "Get out. I don't wanna play with you." My smile fell immediately and I frowned. "Tim?" I could feel tears in my eyes and my lip quivered.

He shot me a harsh look. "Just leave me alone!" He yelled this time, making me gasp. My feet moved quickly and I dropped my toy as I ran from his room, slamming the door behind me.

Halfway down the stairs, I ran into something. Someone. I stumbled backwards, but I was caught before I hit the ground. "Dami, hey what's wrong?" Looking up, I saw Barbara and immediately reached for her, letting out a pitiful sob.

She picked me up, hugging me tightly to her. I almost never cried. I just didn't, but when Tim yelled at me...it had scared me.

He didn't talk much, but any other time he had a softer voice. Nothing like what I'd just experienced now.

"I-I was trying t-to be nice. I promise I was." She shushed me gently and carried me back upstairs to Dick's room, where she was most likely already headed.

When she walked in, I was taken by Dick and he cuddled me, asking Barbara what happened. She shrugged, confused, rubbing my back soothingly. "Something about trying to be nice."

Dick sighed then and nodded, sitting down while holding me protectively in his arms, still rubbing my back soothingly. "Dami, tell me what happened."

Nodding, I sat up and looked at him. "I just wanted to play. Daddy said I could be nice by sharing...Even my new toys." Dick nodded and wiped my face. His own face was kind as he listened. He was always understanding. "Timmy was asleep, but...I tried to wake him."

Dick sighed softly. "Dami did you touch him?" My eyes welled up again and I nodded. My bottom lip pouted out, but I tried not to cry. "I forgot. I just wanted to play." I hiccuped as I cried, looking away from Dick when I started to feel guilty.

Dick nodded and hugged me again. "I know Dami. It's gonna be okay. Tim just needs time okay. I know soon he'll want to play with you, but not yet." He kissed my head as I tried to calm down.

I nodded and Dick just cuddled me. I wasn't sure how long we were like this, but I was starting to fall asleep when a knock on the door made me jump, grabbing onto Dick tightly.

Barbara opened the door as Dick rubbed my back again, calming me down. When I looked over, Tim was standing outside the door, holding my toy. I moved out of Dick's arms and just stared at him curiously.

Barbara smiled and let him in. He thanked her then looked at me, holding my toy out for me to take. I hesitated and he sighed. "I'm sorry I yelled...I know you didn't mean to scare me." Nodding, I carefully took my toy, still watching him curiously.

He moved his hands to his pockets. "I-I would like to play. I-if you still wanna." My eyes widened and I smiled, nodding excitedly. "Yeah! I can show you all my cars and superheroes." I ran to his side, giggling excitedly.

Steph and Dick were smiling at us as we left the room and walked to mine. Dick had been right. He just needed time. Now here he was, ready to play with me.

I knew daddy would be so happy when he found out I shared with him.

Maybe we weren't gonna be normal brothers, but I knew Tim was gonna be my brother. My big brother. Not in the same way Dick was a big brother, but in his own way. Either way, whatever happens, I would always share and play with him.