chapter twenty seven

"Five more minutes!"

The fifth years were taking their final OWL of the year: Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Personally, Ophelia found it quite easy, and she had been studying very hard for the past year. At least, that's what it felt like.

She had been done with her test about ten minutes beforehand and was just sitting there doodling on the back of her parchment. She looked a row ahead of her and one to the side and saw James, doodling as well. She looked up at Professor Flitwick to make sure he wasn't watching and leaned her head over to see what he was drawing. She almost laughed out loud. He drew a golden snitch with the initials L.E. She was definitely going to tell Lily after this was over.

She looked a couple of seats behind her to find her brother, he was leaning back in his chair, his hair falling into his face. He smirked at her, then looked behind her and gave a thumbs up, presumably to James.

"Quills down, please!" announced Professor Flitwick. "That means you too, Stebbins! Please remain seated while I collect your parchment! Accio!"

Everyone's papers flew from their desks to the small man's stretched out arms. Because of the force, he fell backwards. Ophelia couldn't help herself but laugh. She watched Lily, who was seated near the front of the room, help the professor up to his feet.

"Thank you, thank you. Very well everybody, you're free to go!"

Ophelia met up with Lily, Marlene, and Alice and walked outside together. On their way out, they passed the marauders. James winked at Lily, causing her to groan.

She overheard Sirius ask, "How'd you like question ten, moony?"

The four girls walked outside and headed towards the Black Lake. They found a grassy patch and sat down on it, Lily and Alice took their shoes off and splashed around in the water a bit.

"I thought that one was easy. One of the easiest we've done, besides divination maybe," said Alice.

"I did too! I'll be surprised if I didn't get an outstanding on it," said Ophelia.

The four sat in a comfortable silence for a few moments, soaking up the summer sunshine and peacefulness after spending so long worrying about the OWLs.

Ophelia looked around, most people had the same idea as they did. A group of Hufflepuff fifth years, one of them being Alicia Boardman - the keeper for the Hufflepuff quidditch team, were swimming in the lake, their clothes completely soaked.

She saw Snape under a tree, his long nose buried into the examination papers with furrowed eyebrows.

She watched her brother and his best friends as they sat down beneath a large tree. The branches allowed a cool shade, but left gaps for the golden sunlight to shine through at random spots. She laughed a bit when she saw Sirius. He looked bored out of his mind, just scanning his eyes across the grounds, the same as she had been. They locked eyes for a moment and Sirius raised his eyebrows playfully. Ophelia laughed a bit.

James had somehow gotten a hold of a snitch and was playing with it, letting it fly a few feet away and then catch it. He wouldn't make a bad seeker. Everytime he caught the snitch, however, Peter would cheer him on, and James would smile down at him. He kept looking over to where Ophelia was sitting, but never noticed that she was there. He kept glancing at Lily, who was sitting with her feet in the water and her head on Alice's shoulder.

Remus was sitting down under the tree, reading a book that he had just pulled out of his backpack. She admired the way that bits of sunlight were shining down on his face, illuminating his scarred skin and light brown hair.