Set Up

Saturday

Bucky woke up at 6.

He lay on the couch, smiling. Feeling... Safe. The best he had in days.
The sun streaming into the room just improved his mood. He could hear music playing in his head. From the night before.

He had danced.

Danced with Sam Wilson.

He let himself enjoy the memory for a minute before remembering. It was Sarah's birthday. And he and Sam had to set up for the barbecue. He forced himself off the couch and suddenly heard the voices.

It was Sam. Whispering.

Bucky strolled through the house, reaching the front door. Sam stood at the entrance. Taking to Carlos. The neighbour.

'-Yeah when Bucky wakes up we'll start setting up and then I'll make her breakfas-'
'I'm awake'

Sam turned and looked at Bucky. His eyes lit up at the sight of him. A wide smile appeared on his face.

Bucky probably imagined it.

'Oh! That's great. Carlos-'

He turned back to their neighbour.

'We'll be out in 20 minutes to set up. In the meantime you could... Maybe get the chairs?'

Carlos nodded.

'OK... I'll see you in a bit Sam... Bucky'

They both nodded and waved him out.

The door clicked closed.

Sam swivelled around to face Bucky. Bucky froze. Waited.

'So... Why aren't we going out to help straight away?'

Sam smiled, closing his eyes.

'Clueless. You need breakfast don't you?'

Bucky looked surprised. Why was Sam thinking about breakfast?

Bucky usually didn't have it anyway.

'Oh. But... I don't need any-'
'Also Sarah needs breakfast and the kids need a distraction so they don't bother us'

Bucky nodded. Ah. That made more sense.

Sam walked past Bucky into the kitchen. As he passed him he patted his shoulder.

'You'll need food for energy'

Bucky frowned and turned, following Sam. Sam half turned, smirking.

'You'll need those dance moves for the party'

He said, winking.

Buckys mouth opened slightly. Was... Was Sam flirting with him?

Sam began to cook Sarah breakfast. Bucky stood by not sure what to do. Sam could have just sent him out to help Carlos but he had kept him with him inside.