Plan Of Action

'Bucky!' 

Bucky's head snapped up from the warm, soapy dishwater. Sam stood across the kitchen, in the doorway, looking extremely suspicious. He was leaning in the shadows. Almost like he was hiding. Bucky could tell from the mischievous smile on his face that he was about to do something stupid. Or tell Bucky something stupid. But what? Bucky tilted his head confused. 

'What-' 

'Shhh... ' 

Bucky shot Sam a confused look. Sam brought a finger up to his lips and gestured for Bucky to go over to him. Bucky frowned and shook his head, pointing at the dishes that he was currently cleaning. Sam shook his head and nodded over to Sarah who was clearing the table from dinner. He gestured to go to him again. Nothing to do but follow him. Bucky always followed him. He cleared his throat. 

'Uh… Sarah!' 

Sarah turned to Bucky, flashing her signature, bright smile. He could see Sam doing a thumbs up from the doorway.

Bucky struggled to think of an excuse to leave. He wasn't very good at lying. 

'I… I need to go… Do something' 

Sarah raised an eyebrow with a knowing smirk. She gestured to the door. Bucky began walking towards it.

'Sorry. I'll be back in a few minutes to finish cleaning up' 

'Nah, it's fine. I'll just get Aj and Cass to help out. They're getting lazy anyway' 

Bucky quickly backed out of the room, feeling guilty. Sarah was always so kind to him and now he was just leaving in the middle of helping ou-

Bucky was pushed into the nearest doorway. He tripped slightly and fell onto the bed. He looked up at the familiar face he had grown to love.

'Sam. What was the point of that?' 

Sam smirked, crossing his arms. Ugh. What Bucky would give to wipe that smug smirk off his face with a kis-

No. Now was not the time. 

'Bucky. I need your help'

He was bouncing with excitement. Bucky tilted his head. Now he was curious.

'As you know Sarah's birthday is on Saturday. So I was hoping you'd help me plan a little… Shall I say… Party?' 

Bucky raised an eyebrow, trying not to laugh. It was just like Sam to make a big deal out of a party. Acting like a secret mission was taking place. Typical.

'So you felt the need to tell me now? When I'm helping Sarah?' 

Sam shrugged. 

'I was struck by an idea. It's not my fault that they come at inappropriate times' 

'Uh huh' 

'But I was thinking' 

Sam brought his hands up dramatically. Bucky hit a smile. He loved seeing Sam so passionate about something.

'Balloons! Alcohol! Music! And a homemade cake!' 

'Of course alcohol is a priority' 

'Always' 

Bucky still leaned on the bed. 

'But did you hear what I said?' 

'What?' 

'Homemade cake' 

Bucky frowned. 

'So?' 

Sam facepalmed dramatically.