Chapter 1

"Bakugo pop a quick one!" Kirishima yelled over the screaming of citizens. Roots sprouted from the ground as the villain tried grabbing at the citizens that had gotten away from Bakugo burning at its roots. They were trying to rescue teens from a regular high school that was being held hostage by a mutant new villain. The teachers of the U.A saw it as a good way to get the students of class 1-A some good field practice. 

Bakugo was most effective for this villain if the amount of burnt tree wood was anything to go by. One by one all the students were rescued by Kirishima and Bakugo who were working in sync. When everything had settled down and the pro heroes stepped in along with police to get accounts from the students someone caught Bakugo's eye. He instantly chilled over at the sight of emerald green hair and equally emerald green eyes. 

He hadn't seen that face in so long, it's already been a year since middle and it was close to summer which would mean that he was soon to be a second year at the U.A. He wanted confirmation, and ignoring all his new friends he walked up to the face. They were standing apart from the crowd so it was easy to approach despite all the chaos. 

'He's much taller than before,' Bakugo thought as he slowed in his steps. 'He isn't a scrawny wimp like back in middle school, he's got more muscle too. He's changed.' Their eyes connected and recognition shined in ruby red and emerald green. Bakugo was left to stare at the face of his childhood friend. As if to shatter the illusion, Bakugo could see disgust fill Midoriya's eyes. 

Memories flowed into Bakugo's head and his eyes wandered to the scarred arm Midoriya now wore as a sign of Bakugo's abuse back then. The bullying Bakugo had taken too far. He looked away, ashamed of himself. He had no right to approach the one person who stayed by his side even when he made it a miserable hell for him. 

"Look at that, you actually got in. Well, can't say I'm surprised you were shoving it in everybody's face. Guess they don't know your full track record, mommy dearest always made sure of that, no?" It was the first words as they got within earshot of each other and Bakugo burned with shame as he kept his head down. 

Midoriya was taller than him now. 

"What's this, the animal finally has manners? Wonder who brought you to the pound," Izuku chuckled coldly. 

"Izuku-"

"Don't call my name!" He snapped at the blonde who bit his tongue slightly. "You have no right. What happened to Deku huh? I'd rather hear that than my name, let's go back to old times huh Kacchan."

The once cute pet name Izuku had passionately called Bakugo, the name Izuku would fill with love and adoration was now bitter with a slight snarl of disgust. 

"I don't want that, I've changed," Bakugo finally looked him in the eye and was surprised at how close they were. "I want-"

"You know I've always hated when you said you wanted something. Because when Bakugo wants something, he gets it. Do you know what I want?" Izuku's eyes narrowed. "I want you to stay still so I can choke the life out of you. If they're letting people like you become heroes I fear for my safety. Never mind villains attacking, you'll kill someone with your explosions." 

It dug at Katsuki's insecurity and Izuku knew that. He was the only one who could see Katsuki for who he truly was. Izuku hissed his teeth in annoyance as he heard the teachers trying to regroup the students. "See you never asshole," Izuku turned to walk away but Katsuki wouldn't allow it. He grabbed Izuku's hand to stop him. "Bakugo," It was a warning. 

"Please I just need to talk to you. I know I've been an asshole but I've changed, I promise. Let me prove it to you. On Saturday come to the park, we used to go to as kids, the one that has a secret river. I'll be waiting for you from 10 am," Katsuki released his hand and Izuku stood there for a moment before continuing on his way. 

When Bakugo had joined back his friends to head back to school to call it a day Kirishima pulled him aside when all the others walked ahead. "You okay bro? You look like you wanna cry," Katsuki felt like crying too but he couldn't, nobody knew the history he and Izuku shared. He'd never told any of his friends simply because he knew with their views they would shun him. 

"Yeah just had some serious shit thrown in my face," He mumbled as they headed on the bus, from his window he could see the top of Izuku's head. He only notices now that he had styled his hair into an undercut and left the top as a curly mess. "Some real reality checking shit."

************

Izuku got home and was greeted by the emptiness of his apartment. It was a plain apartment and somehow that filled the void in his heart where the love for his mother would've been. When he had gotten home from school with the scars Bakugo had given him, he refused to press charges, his mother pleaded and he stood his ground. She had finally lost it and kicked him to the curb, when he cried to his father the man had only started funding his living. It was good to know that some absent parents were willing to fund their child's livelihood. But the fact still remains, he was still so kind as to not press charges in fear of having Bakugo's reputation destroyed before it even started. 

He had thought that this would be the one thing that finally got through to the blond that he cared about. That he truly had Bakugo's best interest at heart but what he got was more mocking laughter and the threat that his mother would've been able to cover up the 'lies' of a quirkless loser. It was the final straw and he realized that he had sacrificed his mother's love for an asshole who had the money to deal with 'insignificant scum' like him. When the final day of middle school had ended he vowed to change himself, to change his heart. 

No one would be able to get that close again. 

But even when he'd said and done that he couldn't get rid of the pain that Bakugo's rejection had brought to him. And as he collapsed on the threshold of his apartment crying he admitted that it was great to see the blonde again even if all in his heart was hatred for him. All the buried hatred came full force and he made a promise to make Katsuki suffer as he had.