𝟑. MADAM PRESIDENT

– NOELLE

NOELLE

          𝑯𝑨𝑽𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑵𝑰𝑪𝑬𝑺𝑻 𝑪𝑨𝑹 in my friend group has its perks, I will say. Olaf, my white Jeep Wrangler, gets featured in almost every spirit week Instagram post, and its reputation is school-wide. I like how I drive, so my friends voting that we take my car places has never been a complaint of mine. At the same time, I wish Olaf would burst spontaneously into flames whenever my hungover friends beg me for rides to school in the morning after a night out. I thought I would escape it this time, I really did, but I should've known when I woke up following our last summer party that my friends would cry headache and ask me to drive their still drunk assess to school.

I've always been too nice to object. How could I just leave my friends in that random basketball player's house, hoping that they make it to the first day of school reasonably and safely? I couldn't, but trying to lasso Ashlyn Caswell, Carlos Rodriguez, and June Bando into my car this morning almost made me wish I was a cold-hearted bitch. Luckily, none of them puked on my freshly cleaned seats, although June came awfully close.

I've always loved the first day of school. There was something about a fresh start that was so rewarding, even though I'm entering the same building I've been in for three years alongside the same friends to exercise the same, if not harder, life schedule. I enjoy kickstarting things, which is why I was quite joyous on the announcements this morning. Going to all of my classes, even though hell is destined to await me, was refreshing. I was primarily excited for National Honor Society after school. It's my first year as president, and I couldn't wait to pitch my ideas to a group of students who wanted to hear what I had to say. I don't get that a lot, people genuinely wanting to hear what I have to say.

That's besides the point, I guess.

          I was collecting the sign-in sheet following the meeting's conclusion when there was a tiny knock on the room's doorframe. "Madam President?" a familiar voice greeted, making me shake my head with a chuckle.

         My eyes rose to meet those of my boyfriend, now entering the classroom with his hands in his pockets. I bit the inside of my lip, sitting on top of one of the desks as he walked towards me. "Missing the first NHS meeting?" I remarked, him rolling his eyes as he finally stood between my swinging legs. "Awfully unprofessional of you, Mr. Caswell."

         EJ removed his hands from his jeans to place them on my lower hips. "Class treasurer duties called," he defended himself with a whisper before laying a small kiss on my lips.

          "Hey," he segued after we separated, his hands trailing up my body as he locked eyes with me. "I'm sorry about last night. You know, getting mad at Ky and all."

          My lips twitched, remembering the mild anger I possessed this morning when I recalled EJ's attitude last night. He isn't normally possessive, honestly. Sober, that is. "What makes me more upset is that you wouldn't let me drive you today," I brought up. "You were a wreck this morning. You really shouldn't have driven."

         EJ shrugged my concern off. "I can hold my own, but I should've apologized earlier for being snarky. Granted my memory came back right around third period, but still," he laughed under his breath, but I didn't reciprocate.

         "It's fine," I hopped off of the desk, him backing up slightly. I waved the clipboard. "I've gotta run this to Mrs. Taylor."

         "Want to grab coffee or something?" EJ offered, still hovering around as I slung my backpack over my shoulder. "Tomorrow is my HSM audition, so I'm gonna be slammed after school from then on."

         I faced him again, a genuine close-lipped smile on his face. His persona was deathly convincing, it always was. Being too forgiving is one of my weaknesses, but perhaps I hold too many grudges. Can those flaws coexist? If they don't, write my name in the history books. I'm not implying that EJ is constantly seeking apologies from me. I just think I maybe ask for too much on my end sometimes.

          "Yeah, let's do it," I cracked a grin as well, EJ's eyes glistening.

          After returning the sign-in sheet to Mrs. Taylor, EJ and I strolled past the lobby's bulletin board on the way to the parking lot. Hanging in the center was a giant flyer for drama club auditions, the famous High School Musical logo plastered on top of the paper. "You ready for auditions?" I pointed to the flyer as we kept walking.

         EJ checked over his shoulder to see what I was indicating, slowing his walk. Once he realized what I pointed to, he sped up again with a confident strut. "Oh, yeah," he huffed, gaining on me. "Aiming for Troy, of course. I'm not too worried."

         I've been to most of EJ's productions at East High, all of which he played the lead. I expected nothing less for this semester, but every year, I wonder if someone new will step up and snag that role of leading man. I don't know any drama kids besides my friends, but with all the extracurriculars they're involved in, I highly doubt a lead role is in their future. Only one would be in competition with EJ – Carlos. But, I think Sharpay is more up his alley than Troy would be, and I can say that because he's mentioned this many times before.

         I nodded without question, brushing past EJ as he held the glass doors open for me. "Awesome," I replied. "I can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow."

        "Me too," EJ concurred, slipping his hand into mine.

         "Although I think my predictions are promising."

𝑴𝑨𝑪𝑲 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑻𝑺
→ interesting dynamic between
noelle and ej...
let's see how auditions
play out