𝟐. HER AURA

— RICKY

RICKY

          "𝑮𝑶𝑶𝑫 𝑴𝑶𝑹𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑮, 𝑳𝑬𝑶𝑷𝑨𝑹𝑫𝑺, 𝑨𝑵𝑫
welcome back!"

          I was sleeping soundly, to say the least, since how good of a nap can you really have on a flimsy, wooden school desk. I took it upon myself to arrive on time for homeroom on the first day of junior year, but with sacrifices comes replenishment, so naturally I had to compensate for the sleep I lost the moment I sat down in Room 212. I could've slept through any morning announcements, truly, but a voice I had been waiting to hear all summer yanked me from my slumber. The moment her harmonious tone boomed over the intercom, I rose my head abruptly, eyes peering around to make sure no one noticed my dramatic reaction to the name of our school's mascot. I silently sighed when I realized I had not drawn any attention to myself; I never do.

          "We hope you had a relaxing, fun-filled summer. As for some quick reminders, our school-wide assembly will commence following morning announcements, so be sure to head to the gym after the bell. National Honor Society is meeting after school in Room 309, field hockey practice has been canceled for the afternoon, and auditions for the Drama Club's fall musical commence tomorrow. That's all for now, Leopards. Here's to another fantastic school year!"

           There was just something about the way she spoke, so professionally yet soothingly effortless. The intercom normally distorts the voices of anyone speaking through it, but this disease never plagued her. Nothing ever plagued her. I wish I could feel even remotely close to ho–

          "Earth to Ricky?"

          I blinked hard, comprehending that I must've zoned out again. I turned around in my seat, the bright face of one of my best friends, Nini Salazar- Roberts, frozen with furrowed eyebrows. The inside of her cheek was caught between her teeth, and she crossed her arms distastefully as she leaned forward. "Did you hear what I said?" she quizzed, hoping to get some intelligent response out of me. When she accepted that she would fail–my blank face being the giveaway–she groaned. "I asked what you think I should sing for my High School Musical audition. If I don't get Gabriella, I think I may pass away."

          I gave Nini a reassuring nod. "I, too, would pass away. For you. Like, I'd pass away for you."

          Nini rolled her eyes, not doing a good job of hiding her frustration with me. "I can't give you too much of a hard time since you are actually here in homeroom for once, but I don't know whether to blame your spaciness on lack of sleep or mesmerization with the morning announcements."

          "Definitely the former," I lied with ease, Nini chuckling in return.

          Okay, yes, I have not told Nini about my teeny, tiny crush. Well, let me rephrase.